• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Question about an old Minolta XD 11

Jeff Donovan

I was not sure where to put it, so hopefully a moderator can move this if it is not in the proper place.

My father-in-law just gave me and old Minolta XD 11 with two lenses (50mm f1.4 and an 85-2-5mm f3.8 telephoto/macro.) I have a few questions before I simply go out and start shooting pictures to see what comes up.

Is it worth taking the camera to a store to have a pro give it a once-over to make sure everything is in working order? It seems to be fine. I've taken photos, changed lenses, changed film, etc. No apparent problems.

Any general tips on using film? This is the first SLR camera I've ever used, so there is definitely going to be a learning curve. And help on shortening it is greatly appreciated.

I haven't posted here in a while as I've been very busy working on a start-up company but I hope everyone is doing well,

Jeff

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonsoir Jeff
I've taken photos, changed lenses, changed film, etc. No apparent problems.
Why bother then?
If it works correctly, don't send it to a surgeon, he could damage it or even find some illness…
One may not change a winning team!

My very old (32!) Nikkormat still works like a charm, though in full manual only… but I have to admit it lies on the shelf since 2001 (the year I bought my 1st digital camera)

Jeff Donovan

Thanks Nic. I'm more curious about film and want to see if I've actually learned anything about exposure since I picked up my Lumix.

This camera appears to be in full working order and has both Aperture and Shutter priority modes. When I get some photos back I'll post them.