• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Little Church

Allen Maestas

A small church in Tajique, New Mexico.

Al

202755368-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Allen,

For sure I'm enchanted. I like the angle of the church set against the heavens and the gravestone point a warning to the passers by, not to ignore God! The way you have processed the sky, there's even a halo over the church tower!

Although that works, I'd wonder whether you have tried to get even more detail in the sky. In fact, what's at first fun and dramatic then is the cause of some concern!

Is this a digital shot or scanned film? When and why was it taken. We have no prevenance of the image and so not a great frame of reference to critique and comment.

In a B&W picture like this one wants to see a full range of tones. We do see a good spread in midtones but there's not a lot of detail in the sky and the foregrond is in shade and it's dificult to make out and plants or rocks there!

It so happens that the frame you have made is perfect for the picture and sets it up well for display. Still, this is not, I imagine your final version.

Could you give us more background on the shot and the origin of the file? If film, rescan for hightlights ,shadows and midtones separately. If digital do same with RAW file.

This image is worth looking at the processing again! I'd like to know what you might be thinking of the picture and whether it's for showing or also printing?

I visited your website and found this picturewhich demonstrates the richness that this image has not yet been brought to. I guess such a picture as this one I really like, re-calibrates my expectations and makes me more demanding of you. If however, the open sky is an artistic expression of faith, then what can I say! In the meanwhile, I see a gap between the image of the church and this:

mimage2.jpg

© Allen Maestas

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Allen Maestas

Not sure what you just said Asher, but it sounds impressive :) My images are what you see. I do not need to explain them, or give techniques, or anything else. It is what it is. You either like it or you don't. No need to over analyze, or to make a mountain out of a molehill. The image is as I saw it, and how I envisioned it, there will be no more processing, it is what it is. My white sands image is the same (I question why you would paste one of my own images in my thread?). It is what you want it to be, for some a masterpiece, for others a question mark full of nothing. That is art :)

Al