• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1DsMkII - Vertical Lines Issue

Larry Robinson

Hi all,

I work for the USGS and with the Fish & Wildlife Service. We recently purchased a 1DsMkII to collect vertical aerial photography of waterfowl and wildlife habitat. We're still testing to determine best parameters but I've noticed every image contains very fine vertical lines (when viewed in landscape). This was addressed in an earlier thread started by Dawid Loubser, but not, as far as I could tell, resolved. Other Google searches indicate a faulty CMOS or electrical interference.

I uploaded two full-size JPGs and two crops (full-res) to the address below. If anyone can enlighten me on or point me to possible causes, I'd sure be grateful! Also included below is the Exif info from IMG_0107.JPG. Also of note - lines show up whether powered by AC or battery, tethered to a PC or hand-held.

Thanks,

Larry

http://picasaweb.google.com/larrypeg/Canon1DsMkIITests

Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
DateTime - 2007:09:27 13:49:20
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 196
ExposureTime - 1/125 seconds
FNumber - 6.30
ExposureProgram - Shutter priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2007:09:27 13:49:20
DateTimeDigitized - 2007:09:27 13:49:20
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/128 seconds
ApertureValue - F 6.44
ExposureBiasValue - 0
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 16 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4992
ExifImageHeight - 3328
InteroperabilityOffset - 9964
FocalPlaneXResolution - 3526.76
FocalPlaneYResolution - 3528.04
FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Inch
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
SceneCaptureType - Standard

Maker Note (Vendor): -
Macro mode - Normal
Self timer - Off
Quality - Fine
Flash mode - Not fired
Sequence mode - Single or Timer
Focus mode - MF
Image size - Large
Easy shooting mode - Manual
Digital zoom - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Low , -32769
Sharpness - Low , -32769
ISO Value - 32767
Metering mode - Evaluative
Focus type - Auto
AF point selected -
Exposure mode - Tv-priority
Focal length - 16 - 35 mm (1 mm)
Flash activity - Not fired
Flash details -
Focus mode 2 - 65535
White Balance - Auto
Sequence number - 0
Flash bias - 0.00 EV
Subject Distance - 0
Image Type - Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
Firmware Version - Firmware Version 1.1.6
Owner Name -
Camera Serial Number - 343494
File number - 000 - 0288

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 10104
JpegIFByteCount - 12063

Hi Larry,

Welcome to OPF! (I see this is your first post). I think you will find this a wonderfully informative and mature forum, one which has taught me a great deal since I joined.

I had a look at your posted images, and I am afraid your camera does seem to exhibit the exact same problem I had with my 1D MkII N. To this day, I don't truly know what caused my problem, but the local Canon service center kept on replacing component after component in my camera (image processing boards, etc) and eventually gave up and replaced my whole camera under warranty. My "vertical lines" problem started right after they replaced one of the image processing boards to solve another problem (symptom: inability to map out stuck pixels), but I am sure that in the process some other component got damaged, as - from that point onward - the problem could not be isolated.

My first question to you would be, did you buy the 1DsMkII new, or second-hand? If it is still in its warranty period, after my protracted, painful experience, I would recommend that you simply ask for a replacement. I don't think you want to go through that experience - it's an incredibly expensive camera (the most expensive 35mm SLR, in fact) and you shouldn't have to put up with the problem; let Canon sort it out in their own time and at their own cost.

As to the nature of the problem - in my case, it was not the actual CMOS sensor, nor was it any of the few boards they replaced (I can't remember which ones) - a very sneaky problem.

After they replaced my camera, I am a very happy customer - it has never let me down since.

Larry Robinson

Dawid,

Thank you for the quick follow-up! I could tell from reviewing some of the many threads here that this forum would be one of my best bets at getting to the bottom of this matter. It is looking like a return to either Canon or B&H (where it was purchased new about five weeks ago) is going to have to happen. I've read other horror stories similar to yours and that is not path we want to take.

Fortunately we still have our back-up Kodak DCS Pro 14n to document the waterfowl migration through the Upper Mississippi River but we were really looking forward to using the Canon this year. If you're curious, I posted a couple of those from previous years to the same web site.

Larry,

I should imagine that, if you talk to the right people, Canon could sort you out quickly (in a few days) - I can't see why they should drag along with the matter. Hopefully you can use the Ds for your project still!