• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Got told my 1DsMkIII will be in within 10 days

My local store (in SE Virginia) said the regional Canon rep told them that my 1DsMkIII should be in within 2 weeks.

As I was expecting it to release in mid-November, with me getting mine in late November when I returned from a trip. I am somewhat surprised and my budget is getting messed up if true and I have no reason at this time to doubt it.

Does anyone have the ability to confirm this possibility, so I know if I should panic now about getting the money I need for it.

or if I can relax a bit and go with original budget plan. $8k is not a small amount to budget for me.

I am both hopeful and panicky at the same time as my savings took a hit recently due to a pair of family emergencies and had a good plan for recovery by mid-November, not early October..

I am both hopeful and panicky at the same time as my savings took a hit recently due to a pair of family emergencies and had a good plan for recovery by mid-November, not early October..

Tim,

Maybe you should just wait till mid-November. It'll get you from panic mode to anxious mode, which is much healthier, and it'll allow time for others to find out if it lives up to the expectations before you part with your money.

Bart

Some one has to be first and I have a reasonable trust of Canon that if it has problems they will fix them to my satisfaction if needed, although it may take a touch of hassle.

However, no one has helped with belief issue or not.

Not sure I get the Maria reference unless it a person I am not aware of. The only reference I can think of is a song sung by Clint Eastwood.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Ordered mine yesterday…

At my Bordeaux camera shop (estimated price 5800 Euros ex VAT).

Expected mid to end November…

Now the real wait has started!

Steve Saunders

I'm looking forward to the reviews, especially of high ISO quality. This camera has a lot to live up to now wth the Nikon D3 on the way.

I'm looking forward to the reviews, especially of high ISO quality. This camera has a lot to live up to now wth the Nikon D3 on the way.

The 1Ds Mark III won't be a high ISO champion, it is intended for a different audience. The 1D3 is Canon's high ISO / fast action model, where as the 1Ds3 is targeted at lower ISO studio and large output usage.

Bart

JohanElzenga

Canon packs 21 million pixels on the same size sensor as Nikon's only 12 million pixels, which means that the idividual pixels of the 1DsMkIII are quite a bit smalller than the ones on the D3. Consequently, the laws of physics dictate that the Canon camera will not have the same ISO performance as the D3. Not even the best Canon engineers can change this.

If you want 21 Mpixels, the D3 is no option. If you want super ISO performance, the 1DsMkIII won't be. In that case your chances will probably be better with an updated EOS 5D when that comes out.

Canon packs 21 million pixels on the same size sensor as Nikon's only 12 million pixels, which means that the idividual pixels of the 1DsMkIII are quite a bit smalller than the ones on the D3. Consequently, the laws of physics dictate that the Canon camera will not have the same ISO performance as the D3. Not even the best Canon engineers can change this.

If you want 21 Mpixels, the D3 is no option. If you want super ISO performance, the 1DsMkIII won't be. In that case your chances will probably be better with an updated EOS 5D when that comes out.

Precisely my dilemma. My hope is that a camera with the IDs2's pixel count will be issued, but having better high ISO performance, something along the lines of an enhanced 5D. In the meantime, I know that I won't be able to resist the 1DsMkIII for which I have a standing order since it was announced.

René Damkot

Off course, if you downsize the 1Ds3 image to the same size as the 3D image, a lot of noise will be gone...

An update,
The store talked with their Canon Rep who now claims it will be in around mid-November (as suspected and reported).
I suspect the reps had a talking too, but this is just my suspicion.

The camera store got the impression of some kind of problem causing the delay - My speculation was something related to the 1DM3 focus fix. but these are only second hand impressions and rampant speculation.

Meanwhile,
Since I will be traveling from 1 Nov to 16 Nov, I am hoping it won't come in until the 16th, otherwise it will be sitting at the store waiting for me. :)

With my luck though it will actually show on the 1st, just after my flight takes off.

Update:
Store said rep said after analysis
Expect my camera first week in December with a little bit of good luck. the good luck is if I get one from the first batch.

Longer version:
Apparently the cameras are currently on a ship from Japan, then to distributors then stores/consumers. The rep owes the store, but there is someone who apparently bought $80,000 in glass in anticipation of the camera (I think that is about one of everything or multiples of some) who is in the que ahead of my local store. And the rep said they were only going to be about 100 in first batch to the US and he will only get about 5 or 6 cameras.

Thus the rumor is at this time. And note this is what the store told me, I did not hear the conversation between rep and store.

The only facts
- I have one on order with the store
- I am the only one right now with one on order with the store
- The rep owes the store from last time
- It is not here today.

Oh and I am getting impatient obviously... :)

It could make it by then, if it gets offloaded this week. I don't know how much faster you get them in Japan then we do in the states. Is there any past history to tell if the wait for global release or if Canon releases to Japan earlier (not counting the printers they never released in the states or release months later here)?

My guess would be the let Japan have them when the distributors here get them and then it takes a few days to show up at stores here. But only a guess.

But if you got an actual date, you are doing way better then anyone else I know at least around here.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
My dealer told me that we may get it by my December, the delay is due to Canon who wants to check all 1DS3 bodies to ensure that they don't have the same mirror issue than the 1D3…

my 0.2 cents of €:-(

Steve Saunders

IMHO I'd imagine that Canon are desperate to get the camera to the dealers a day before Nikons D3 goes on sale. The 1D3 series seems to have have turned into a major disaster, grabbing victory from the jaws of defeat as it were.

Then Nikon rising from the ashes with mind-boggling high-ISO performance in the D3 must be the icing on the cake. I wonder how Canon will turn this around?

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Canon USA will most likely ship the 1DsmkIII to dealers on Friday November 30 the last day of the month to meet there announced release date of "November"

This is in line with there previous releases of 1D series cameras.

I expect my 1DsmkIII camera in the first 2 weeks of december.

With Canon actually saying the 29th, then the cameras are probably in transit, but I won't believe it until I either have one in my hand or I have enough reliable people who say they got theirs.

I have decided I will be extra patient and wait until Friday to bug my local camera store again - luckily they are very patient with me. Of course the fact I have bought two cameras, three lenses and many accessories and supplies from them when I could have gone online, probably counts for a lot for the patience.

With Canon actually saying the 29th, then the cameras are probably in transit, but I won't believe it until I either have one in my hand or I have enough reliable people who say they got theirs.

I'll wait for a call from one of my dealers, I'm on their notification list. Then I'll continue the negotiation game (I'm, again, unlikely to pay the full asking price in Euros). I'm not in a rush, and given the current exchange rate between EUR and US$, something can/should happen before I part from my money. I'm eager (looking forward to larger viewfinder, focus adjustment and other features), but I'm not desperate.

Bart