• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Protest photography

Marc Hankins

Morning everybody.

Tomorrow I'll be covering an Anti-War protest in central London. I've covered peaceful protests before, but that was a few years ago, and my photographic skills have much improved since then.

I ask a few questions, for those of you who have covered demonstrations before, what do you look for to take photos? And if you haven't covered them, what would you take pictures of?

Also, this protest doesn't seem to have government or police backing, which is a relatively big deal, because the orwelian government wont allow protests in or near parliament square without prior authorization. So there is a small chance things might get a bit hectic. Do people have any special hints and tips in covering situations that can get a bit hairy with the police?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Try for height. A high vantage gives access to what's seen and the advabtage of providing contex.

Asher

Try for height. A high vantage gives access to what's seen and the advabtage of providing contex.

And if that isn't available, use your camera (with timer/cable release) on a monopod held overhead. You might even want to try a panorama that way.

Unusual vantage points may help to create more interesting images (get high, get low, or get close and wide). Otherwise I'd pick not too many people at the same time, just select interesting looking ones and focus on signs they may carry (otherwise it will be harder to link to the event).

Bart

In addition to the good advices you already go here are mine:

1) Use a WA lens and a long tele lens. First gives you the context, second gets you reach and details. My choice (I'm using Canon 40D) would be 10-22 and 70-200.
2) Use highest usable ISO available, hence getting the largest depth of field and the fastest shutter speed possible. It's not an artsy stuff, you need sharp photos.
3) Have you cameras on a high drive speed, AI servo and shoot plenty. You don't want your single best shot of a coolest stuff ever being OOF..
4) If you see the situation being evolving, shoot first and only then try to recompose and take a perfect picture. Otherwise you may end up with nothing.
5) Make sure you are easily identifiable as a photographer. In case of a havoc it may save your ass and your gear.
6) ALWAYS have an easy alternative escape route!

HTH

Last edited:

Brian Lowe

Marc,

I agree with what the other poster's have said lot's of good advice for you.

Here are some examples from a protest of sorts that took place in Los Angeles "A Day Without an Immigrant" protest. I shot this with a 12-24mm and a 100mm

Here are a few examples to give you some ideas.

High and wide @12mm
67387139-L-1.jpg

Low and close with a 100mm

67398021-L-1.jpg

Brian

Steve Saunders

Nikolai's advice is good. I'd add the following, albeit slightly late for Marc;

If you paid for your camera equipmant, leave it at home. If you can hire a camera and lenses for the day instead, then do it. This stuff will be insured should it get damaged or ripped off your shoulder, don't laugh it does happen. You need to do this weeks before the event as many press shooters will have the same idea, ie keep their own equipment safe at home.

Make sure you have an escape route through police lines, otherwise a mob might hunt you down if there are no police to intercept them. But don't stand too close to police as they are the usual targets for missiles. If you do want to stand beside a policeman, find the biggest one you can in case you need to hide behind him.

Consider sticking a cheap bicycle helmet on your head. It looks silly but might save your skull from aforementioned missiles or police batons. Sometimes police get frustrated and lash out at anyone within arms reach, friend and foe alike. Remember that you really have no friends in these situations. Protective clothing is a good idea too. Motorcycle jacket with the padded shoulders, elbows and spine areas help. Get a dark one so you don't stand out.

When taking your photos, do it quickly. Don't let your lens rest too long on a particular person or part of the crowd or they may turn on you. Use your camera in a trigger-happy and furtive manner, you don't want to spend all day in one spot shooting the same people.

Keep an eye on expensive stores. When trouble erupts, looting almost always follows and you will probably want shots of the thieves exiting the stores with arms full of loot.