• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Anatomy of an Island 2

Rick Medlock

Hi Everyone

I first posted this in the Layback Café forum as an introduction to myself and some of my photography. I suppose I should have posted it here as this is a more a Photojournalism - Street - Documentary style of photography. Anyway, after some months of trying to get it looked at or displayed within Coventry, my home city, and not achieving anything apart from rejection, I entered it into a documentary style competition run by the London Photographic Association entitled “My Back Yard 3” and blow me got the top award, Gold, for my efforts. For someone like myself, who really is at the start of a career in photography it was a wonderful surprise. The original piece of work entitled Anatomy of an Island was presented as my final work for my photography qualification for which I received a distinction. To view my competition entry follow the link. http://www.london-photographic-association.com/site/win_by_comp.php?series_f=1&coid=44&fid=0,10,247 To view the whole work although it is still work in progress follow this link to my website http://www.trickym.demon.co.uk/

Comments and criticism always welcome.

Rickster

Ray West

Hi Rick,

Congratulations again, I guess ;-) I guess the photos are as linked from your your initial thread http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2992, I can remember some of them, or at least I think I can. Could you link to a few, say your three or four favourites, and perhaps say why you prefer them? I would like to see if you pick out my favourites.

I am sure you understand why Coventry 'sent you to Coventry'. You should have posted pretty pictures of flowers, if the city has any. (I expect they do not like being referred to as a town, either). Now, I expect you could sell your exhibition to Liverpool, or Manchester, or maybe Coventry would pay you to not sell it to the opposition!

How is the work thing going?

Best wishes,

Ray

Rick Medlock

Hi Ray

Thanks for the comments

I think I have been sent to Coventry because of the criticism. There is a large amount of investment into Coventry but it is all contained within the ring road. They are trying to encourage new business also into the centre, so someone like my self giving a negative opinion is not liked. The subway system is a dangerous area to be in as I have already stated. There was a murder down there three weeks ago. With that in mind the centre becomes an island because people will not use the subways. It’s mad really. Not only that but they do not like you taking photographs in the centre either. A tourist was recently stopped from snapping the other week. It made it into the local newspaper and there was an outcry. With all that in mind they don’t need someone like me grabbing the lime light. Anyway enough moaning.

lpa_0bea74fd88c77eea2d5dbcb8c81090a5.jpg

This is one of my favourites. As with most of the images it’s the not knowing what is around the corner that I find intriguing I love the tone and colour of it

lpa_b623836431ecc9f7191e0bc61d59e5c5.jpg

The same here. The white line also replicates the sign post so visually interesting

lpa_74c00e1bf8f507f41be951b88a268cbd.jpg

Here it is the play between the two circles The pedestrian/cyclist and the P sign. Also the way the curves draw you into the image. Visually it looks right

lpa_cedccc4db9b71089d8e8fac9c92cc1d4.jpg

The grittiness of this image and as someone else said that looks like the sort of low life you get down there. Not pleasant. By the way this is a good friend of mine Pat who volunteered.

Could go on all night like this but that will do for a start.

Rickster