• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Has anyone see, test, touch, try the new Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM?

It was supposed to be on the shelves in October. We are in October!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Has anyone see, test, touch, try the new Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM?

It was supposed to be on the shelves in October. We are in October!

Hi Nicolas,

This long awaited lens to provide some capbility to feed the sensors of 1D series cameras, has been reviewed by Sean Reid in Reidviews.com. You needs to subscribe.

Sean's report is worth reading. It shows that the 14mm lens has a definite edge over 14mm on the Sigma WA zoom, 12-24 you yourself use to such good effect. It is like taking a picture with your camera and then sending it to your technician in Bordeaux and having him clean the sensor. It's that much clearer to my eyes. However, the edges and corners are softer.

I think that this lens would serve you well, however it is expensive!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
In Stock

That lens is in stock at Canoga Camera. I couldn't find it a B&H....for me, my 12-24 will have to suffice for now. If that new lens has less distortion then the 12-24 has and I get some architectural work, I might consider it at some point...

nicolas claris

Thanks Kathy
They do have it in stock at B&H, UPS cost delivery + 5% import tax it's about 1400 Euros compared to 2000 Euros (+VAT that I don't pay) in France…

I use the 12-24 a lot on exterior shots @ 12mm, and mostly @ 15mm for interior shots of boats and houses, it works best between ƒ8 and ƒ11 and 15 mm (less vignetting, less soft corners).

If the Canon 14 mm is clearer, sharper, same low distortion, it's gonna be mine!

Does anyone own both and can post comparison shots? To early maybe…

Don Lashier

Canoga doesn't have stock on the II, at least not today. btw what's the difference between the I and II aside from a few hundred dollars?

edit: ok, found this:

"completely redesigned optics including 2 high-precision Aspherical elements and two totally new UD-glass elements. The result is superior image quality: better contrast and sharpness at the outer edges, and a reduction in chromatic aberrations that can sometimes be seen with high-resolution digital SLRs."

- DL

Do you think Canon is gonna market a bundle: 14 mm lens AND 1Ds3? lol

I've suggested something of that nature to my main dealer, just for me! You can be sure that Canon will monitor the introduction price levels of the 1Ds3, and possibly of the new 14mm. But it is highly unlikely that they will look at any other one-of discounts that the dealer and you agree amongst each other. There are some (EU fair trade/competition) legalities involved, but that's for the dealer to worry about.

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicoals,

Did you look at Sean Reids test results compared to the lens in that range you know so well, the Sigma 12-24!

I'd love to know what you think of that report.

Asher

nicolas claris

Asher
not yet, We did work the all Saturday, went to see an awful movie (at theater) about the genious Karl Lagerfelt, Sunday were for some rest ;-)

But I'll do and post soon…