• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Quietest Camera to Use with a Pro Quality Lens.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher:

The lens was an older Pre-Aspheric 50 Summilux and is not coded, and I do not generally bother with the IR filters. As for noise, none of the M cameras are really all that much quieter than the 5D; almost any P&S or 4/3rds camera is better than the M8 on the noise front. However, for whatever reasons, the M8 is clearly not perceived as intrusive and draws a lot less attention in general than a DSLR.

Cheers,
So which are the quietest Leicas? I did some searching and the shutter of the Leica Minolta CL was very modest and the Cannonet GIII A was even less.

I'd like a camera with a great lens which is even quieter.

I think that some digicams can have the generated sound switched off but one is still left with the real shutter noise after that.

One needs the quietest shutter with the fastest lenses and the highest usable ISO as the performances are not well lit!

Maybe the M8 is sufficient for this task, but I'd go to a more stealthy film camera (or digicam) if it was better as the number of pictures one needs is low. This is a very slow methodical way of shooting. So film is not expensive.

Asher

I'd like a camera with a great lens which is even quieter.

Asher, for what it's worth (though it's very different) a film camera that is quieter than any Leica M, and has a very very good (fixed) 35mm f/2.8 lens, is a small Minox 35 EL. I had some good fun carrying one around in my pocket with ISO800 B&W film. Small, well-made camera from the 70s, very very quiet, although there are obviously disadvantages (for example, guessing focusing distance, since it's only a viewfinder camera). But, if you're looking for the ultimate small film camera (in terms of optical quality) you could do worse. Have a look at Mick Feuerbacher's page on the Minox 35 EL. This camera is in my display case, but now and then I do have the urge to pull it out.

It's such a pity they didn't stick with the quiet cloth shutter for the Leica M8... that would have been ideal (in theory, at least). Have you noticed how quiet the shutter of your 1D MkII is? It's just the mirror making that loud noise - even when using "quiet, delayed shutter cocking" (Personal Function) it could still be distracting. I wish, for that mode, they doubled the shutter lag, raised the mirror really quietly and slowly, and it would be great. I think that heave metal body shields the noise of the shutter itself very well.

The other day, I played with a Pentax Medium Format SLR - my goodness, I was surprised the camera did not jump out of my hands when I pressed the shutter and that huge mirror slapped/flopped/clumped/whatever-you-want-to-call-it up!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks David and Jack,

I went to Samy's Camera and tested the Leica M8 against my 5D. Admitedly the M8 didn't have a lens on, so I'll have to repeat this when the Leica guy is there, but the M8 was far more distracting than the 5D!!! Maybe the huge 50 1.2L dampens the noise.

The Canon G9 with the sound switched off is absolutely silent!! However, I'd like a really pro class lens. Maybe the Hexar would be somewthing to try.

Asher

Tim Gray

The Zeiss lens on the Sony R1 (if you can get one) is quite good, and like the G9 is absolutely dead silent. At least with this camera you get the advantage of a good lens, and larger sensor over most P&S's...