• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Muse

Rachel Foster

Recent portrait.

por041.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Rachel,

Hi! What a wonderful child! How old is she? You are lucky he doesn't rebel! I have ideas on how you have prepared this image for showing. Is the above your particular interpretation or are you open to other ideas to optimize the image for others to view. I don't want to encroach your special view! Let me know!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Last edited:

Rachel Foster

Thank you, Asher! I'd love to hear your thoughts.

She is seven, and quite tired of posing for me. Before I took up photography, she never saw a camera she didn't like. Now, it's "Oh Mom! Do I have to?"

I'm very interested in ideas to prepare this and other photos. I heard today from the art director at our local community art gallery. I'm meeting with her on Friday morning to discuss possibly offering some of my photos for sale. (She's seen some of my work.) This gallery offers art classes to both children and adults. It's my dream to take any proceeds and pay tuition to an art class/classes for a child from a family who otherwise couldn't afford it.

Again, suggestions are welcome. I'm working on mastering the magnetic lasso in photoshop!

Asher Kelman

O.K., I'll work on a version I think you might like. Meanwhile, how about changing that file to 700 dpi instead of 1050 so we don't end up with a too heavy thread.

I question the current tonality as presented, but the file itself is very good. what did you do im processing. What did you change in RAW?

I do like the negative space.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I lvoe it

Love the light, love the composition, the skin tone...Bravo...

And for a seven year old be glad she doesn't smile with what I call the Teeth Smile....

Asher Kelman

Hi Rachel,

Here is your portrait, original girl and then my processed version to right.

Girl_por041.jpg
por041_700 girl_AK2.jpg

© 2007 Rachel Foster

I have tried to bring out more enquiring wonder in her face, working on various parts of her gentle face.

I hope my Mac 17" screen guided me right. I still have to check on my Eizo!

Asher

Asher Kelman

and then Rachel, what might it mean? Does it relate to her, to you? Would she like it?

Feel free to critique my work on your own picture! Your feelings and thoughts!

Asher

Greg Rogers

Hmmm....I'm having a difficult time seeing what you did there, Asher...aside from lightening it up a bit. Actually, Rachel's version looks better on my screen. I gotta be missing something here!
-Greg
Edit: Ahah...now I see you've sharpened her eyes just a tad, and her lips maybe a tad more. Missed it on first two looks.....too hung up on Rachel's "darker" version looking better to me. :) Basic portrait editing technique, I do it all the time, and I missed it. <blush> Perhaps more I've not found yet!

Last edited:

Greg Rogers

Rachel,
In obsessing over trying to figure out what Asher had done, I totally forgot to mention how much I like this portrait. This is the type of thing us borderline OCD folks do, eh? ;-)

Nice work!
-Greg

Asher Kelman

Hmmm....I'm having a difficult time seeing what you did there, Asher...aside from lightening it up a bit. Actually, Rachel's version looks better on my screen. I gotta be missing something here!
-Greg
Edit: Ahah...now I see you've sharpened her eyes just a tad, and her lips maybe a tad more. Missed it on first two looks.....too hung up on Rachel's "darker" version looking better to me. :) Basic portrait editing technique, I do it all the time, and I missed it. <blush> Perhaps more I've not found yet!
Greg,

I work on each part of the face separately so I can give just a little effect and adjust to get the feeling I want.

Asher

Greg Rogers

Hi Asher,
Yes, now that it's morning and I'm not in the middle of a minor diverticulitis episode at 3:00 AM, I can see more of what you've done. :)

My vote would be to combine the detail work Asher has done on Rachel's lovely young "model" with Rachel's slightly darker rendition.
-Greg

Last edited:

Rachel Foster

I'm very envious of your photoshopping skills, Asher. I've been studying it and the sharper eyes is a nice improvement. I think I prefer a bit more contrast but my monitor is not calibrated so I'm hesitant to say.

The local community art gallery would like to "handle" me as an artist...I'm very excited. I've earmarked profits to pay for art classes they teach children to area kids who couldn't otherwise afford it.

You know...it doesn't get any better. I'm able to do what I love and area kids will benefit. And this serves as a huge incentive to improve...A WHOLE BUNCH. The better I get, the more kids get classes.......yeah!