• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How large a 16 bit Tiff, 1Ds3 converted Raw file ?

Mike Bailey

pro member
Ralph,

Just guessing, but since the image size is about twice the size of a 5D, it should be around 150-155 meg compared to the 76meg (more or less, depending on ISO/detail) of the 5D raw converted to 16-bit tiff. At least this guess can be considered a placeholder until someone with a real 1DsIII can chime in.

Mike

Thanks. My 1Ds2 gives about a 95 Mo 16-bit Tiff, so I figured that the 1Ds3 would be in the vicinity of 125 Mo or so. Note taken and thanks for your feedback.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonsoir Ralph

to be more precise, thanks to the images provided there by Warren Liebman I downloaded one file and resaved it within PS.
The JPEG is set to 12, tif with no compression.

1Ds3_sizes.gif

We'll have to buy some more large HD to store and save all the files ! better shoot quietly…

JohanElzenga

You can simply calculate the size. The 1Ds MkIII is 21.1 Mpixels. In a 16 bits TIFF, each pixel is 16 bits per color and has 3 colors, so each pixel is 3x 16 bits = 48 bits. That's 6 bytes per pixel. Consequently, the size of 21.1 Mpixels is 21,100,000 x 6 bytes = 126,600,000 bytes. That's 120.74 MBytes.

Thank you Nicolas and Johan. This is good news. If image quality is there, it looks as if there might be some fun in the near future, particularly if our favorite Raw converter developers have good timing and don't leave us in the grips of the DPP workflow.