• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge! Kids being kids: avaliable light and candid! :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kids seem to live in a special world. We are the giants.

I saw this brother and sister in the San Franciso Museum reading up on the exhibition! They were so involved they did not notice my interest. I subsequently took pictures of the entire family, who were visiting from France.

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/2007_OPF_AK/Asher_Kelman_2007/_MG_9863_Kids in SF Museum.jpg[/IMG[/CENTER]]

I think this is going to be a fabulous thread.

Asher​

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
Little James

IMG_0048ajames.jpg

Just a quick grab shot of a friends three month old baby, I love his worried little expression, and furrowed brow....

Cem_Usakligil

Paying good attention to the teacher...

Thanks Asher for this thread and for sharing the picture of the kids.

Janet: the picture of that little James is indeed fabulous!

Here is my not so fabulous contribution. This is our neighbours' son who was having an "important" conversation with his teacher, who happens to be my wife BTW :). I thought the shadows were interesting, that is why I took the picture.

img_37818_0_216337298-O.jpg

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Cem

Thanks for your kind comments, I took this shot in our garden, when we went outside James was a bit startled by the wind, and it made him frown, so sweet!

I really like your shot, the boys intense engrossed expression, his teachers hands clasped around the pencil in the shadows add gravity to the mood, looks like you captured a thought provoking serious moment, no doubt he was laughing a moment later - kids!!

Asher Kelman

Janet, Cem and Zach,

What kind of memories are stored in these images?

Janet's finding puzzlement and pensive inquiry, young James attentive to his teacher, but weighing what is said (he's no push-over!). Lastly we look in at Zach's baby making a major social and loving guesture; feeding his mother birthday cake! Of course she has to somehow swallow the food! So there's a gap. We know the infant is trying; look at the face, measuring his progress and his mother's reaction!

Images such as these sample life. So this is what this thread is about. Sampling moments of children's lives. Good job!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Arya Wiese

This is my daughter playing on her favorite chair - an old bar stool that I picked up at a flea market. I wanted to catch her playing on it with a different angle and I didn't want to use my flash so I bumped my ISO all the way up.

DSC_0099.jpg

Settings:
Flash used: No
Focal length: 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm)
Exposure time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO equiv.: 1600
Whitebalance: Manual

Jon Mark

Jacob%2021mo-23-Edit.jpg

The parents at the park must have thought that I was crazy since I watched my 20 month old son "figure out" on how to catch the water from the water fountain. It took him almost 30 minutes, but he figured it out without my help. Love my 135L... Thanks for looking.

The little observer

On an afternoon we set out for a big challenge, my son was to learn to ride his bike without training wheels and to lure him we took his RC car along for some fun. A parking lot near the beach proved ideal since it was almost empty here in wintertime. It worked out really well, he picked it up quite swiftly and after an hour or so we retired the gear and went on for a walk on the beach.

It was very windy, my oldest son distracted by some younsters with screaming methanol fuelled RC Cars, me aiming to get some shots of seagulls and my youngest wandered off. As his attention was drawn by the wind blowing sand over the beach he started to observe.

How does it feel?

c294354lg5.jpg

as he squated and felt the sand blow against his hands. After a while he started to kick up some sand and see where it would fly off to. Had a look at the paterns the wind created around objects. And settled - his feet at a 90° angle to the wind - to just observe and learn.

c2943562cp5.jpg

It's printed and on the piano at the grandparents ..

Edit (forgot to include):
Jon, what an excellent picture, it inspired to post the above. Thanks for sharing.

Martin

Ray West

Hi Jon,

Outstanding work, not just yours, but the plumber, who must have used every spare fitting in his tool bag, and three reels of ptfe tape. I hope Texas oil wells use different plumbers than your park department.

Best wishes,

Ray

Robert Groom

Painting a dog

After seeing his five-year-old sister transformed into a fairy, my two-year-old son was understandably reluctant to have his face painted too.

When the artist asked him what he would like to be, he replied, "Not a fairy." "OK, how about a dog?" she asked. "OK" he replied, still sceptical ...

RQ_20070826_4756_Web800.jpg

Eric Van Gilder

I took this one of my son a few years ago. I always called this one "Someday"

129_2946.jpg

Scanning the skies a year or so later:

DSC_1745.jpg

This one is my favorite from a day at the aviation museum:

DSC_1778pbw.jpg

Asher Kelman

Mike,

She's growing up nicely. The glass for painting; how's it set up? Is this recent since I seem to remember another like this??

Charlotte, again precious and impish. Now that is a small picture!

Shane, the picture of your youngest is sensitive. Taking photogrphs with horses seem such of challenge. I'm sure a lot has been written on it.

I'd imagine leading the horse would be great, then one can see all of them.

I think we need a new thread for that!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

asher

i figured it out- yes i did
may be small but but falling off the page either- ahaaahaa

nicolas-
oh she better be afraid of me and my lens cause i am not going away!!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
nicolas-
oh she better be afraid of me and my lens cause i am not going away!!

Charlotte,

you missunderstood me…
Your pation for taking pictures and for your own child is pushing you to an agressive thinkink: "she better be affraid of me".
Of course this is not my concern, but you seem to love her so much! then to protect her mental health, if she feels like better be hidden, give her a break!

Pointing a lens to a child, when this child obviously refuses it, is another great violence… We have to respect -in all manners- everyone including children, including our own child, who could be afraid to protest toward an adult, even and over his/her parent.

IMveryHO

Mike Spinak

pro member
Mike,

She's growing up nicely. The glass for painting; how's it set up? Is this recent since I seem to remember another like this??

Asher,

These are not recent. She's 4, now.

She was finger painting on a glass wall; I saw an opportunity, and stepped outside, to get the shot. Reflections were a problem, and I had to block reflections with the shadow of my body, and photograph her within this shadow of my body.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Stunning and Fun

The image of the boy at the Air and Space Museum is stunning.

Mike, I love the image of the fingerpainting on glass. I am finding a frequent use of using me as a scrim and flag works well. Yesterday I used me as a flag in the studio to get just the right light on my subject.

I had Samantha and her brother in my studio all dressed up and then we headed to the park to play.

293365438_QqmRS-M.jpg

Shane Carter

Here is another of my youngest's 12 birthday part last year...she is the one on camera left with the crown...they of course knew I was taking photos at this time but I did not pose them...this one cracks me up still...they all just lined up perferctly with goofy faces and fooling around...I could not have posed one this good. :)

574900053_M2N0261.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
not beeing into children photography prior to the birth of my own, here's a recent shot.
Roman and his friend mirroring the act of beeing photographed, making fun of the photographer;-)

ro.jpg