• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Microsoft and Phase One together?

Brian Lowe

Anybody see this?

Microsoft and Phase One Form Strategic Alliance to Improve Digital Photography Solutions

Collaboration fosters innovation for professional photographers and enthusiasts.

REDMOND, Wash., and COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Oct. 26, 2007 — Microsoft Corp. and Phase One today announced a strategic alliance to explore ways to improve digital imaging solutions for professional photographers and enthusiasts. The companies will work together to develop solutions for the Microsoft Windows platform that further innovation in the digital photography space. The alliance combines Phase One’s industry expertise with Microsoft’s widely used platform technology and includes technology sharing and intellectual property assets as well as joint marketing.
“Microsoft and Phase One are joining forces to develop solutions for the Windows platform that meet the sophisticated needs of professional and ‘prosumer’ photographers,” said Kostas Mallios, general manager of the Rich Media Group at Microsoft. “Today’s announcement is another example of Microsoft’s commitment to our customers and the digital imaging industry.”
Microsoft has a strong record of making investments in digital imaging technology for Windows Vista, HD Photo, Photosynth, Digital Image Suite and other products that provide superior solutions for professional photographers and enthusiasts alike. The alliance builds on Microsoft’s focus in the digital imaging market by ensuring that professional-quality tools for the Windows platform are accessible enough for enthusiasts. Phase One has a deep knowledge of the industry, having built software that streamlines the image-capture and post-production process for 14 years.
“Professional photographers are always looking for ways to reduce the amount of time they spend in front of the computer,” said Henrik Håkonsson, CEO of Phase One. “At the same time, enthusiasts want professional-quality tools but don’t want to be bogged down with features and functions they won’t use. We believe our combined expertise in digital imaging technology will help address these unmet needs to the benefit of our digital back customers and our digital SLR software customers.”

John_Nevill

I did wonder if this was on the cards, as Phase One continues to offer C1 with Media Pro, yet Media Pro is now Expression Media owned by M$.

I just hope M$ don't wave their unmagical wand on C1, like they did with Media Pro.

Marian Howell

this to me is the saddest news of all...2 companies with no customer support/relations skills...and as a mac user i see only bad times ahead for me from phase one.
i love c1 and have used it for years - it will break my heart to leave it...
of course, i'm still waiting for v4 to leave beta LOL!
i was afraid of this after the takeover of media pro by ms so i concentrated on adding lightroom/aperture to my processor software bag, and now i am really glad i did!

Brian Lowe

Here is a little more info, not much though from Ulf Liljegren Phase One Forums site admin.

"I can not give you much more information then the information provided in the press release. What you can presume out of this is that Microsoft and Phase One will share knowledge and technologies which will benefit both companies and in the end our customers in a positive way.

Exactly what you will see as a customer is yet to be announced."