• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tulip to stir...

..this section. :)

A1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Arun,

If this were food it would be eaten immediately! Interesting that hte back droplets are already misty looking but then some at the base of the flower are clear so maybe we are just seeing the lens effect on the petal with the upper edge water drops which are white.

It's hard to think of composition since the subject itself is so beautiful and that's cheating!

Well done!

Asher

Is it hand held or tripod. How is the flower lit. Please add the lens and shutter info, your pulse rate and other important factors to help people, who admire your work, to emulate. Make sure the © info is in yourimage file too.

Thank you, Asher, for consistent encouragement and insight. The picture is composed using a tripod (like all my images).

EXIF (for above image):

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 30D
Flash Used: Yes
Focal Length: 100.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 200
White Balance: Auto
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

23.jpg

43.jpg

Tulips, did somebody say tulips?

In contrast with Arun's isolated tulip works-of-art, this is an image of multiple tulips, one that should really be seen large:

3058_hf.jpg

Shot with a TS-E 90mm at f/7.1 and a bit of tilt for full DOF.

Bart

Tulips are great flowers.. probably my favorite.
Arun-- the 1st has a very nice color for a tulip.. I like the 2nd red one also.
Barts has such a great glow..
Jan's very fine tulips..
So I guess this is mine.. A pink pair
16163160.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hi Duke, and what a lovely pair they are!! a nice gentle style, very suited to the delicate pink of these tulips .
Well said, Janet! I really like them, almost like a ballet dance!

In that light, I'd increase the stage on which they are playing. A lot more black space around them!!!!! That is how I would see it, but this is your vision and as it is the picture if perfect!

Asher

John_Nevill

Here's my contribution.

Tulip.jpg

Taken back in 2005 with a 20D under natural light and revisited an hour ago in LR.

I'm not sure if it works. I like the translucency, texture and shape, but....I think I may have some way to go, as flowers are not my strong point.

Asher Kelman

Hi John,

I like the simplicity. The flower is like a goblet. However, to make it, we need to compete with film where the stem would be lit so it has a whole range of tonalities and interesting texture. Not that any of these feature define a great picture, just what I'm thinking now that I'm seeing what is done with film.

I'l try to get images made with film. Will and I did Polaroids. I'll ask him!

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
I'm not sure if it works

Hi John

I think it can be made to work..... I like the composition and the b & w works for me, but it needs a bit more work to bring out the detail, I think it could look great though. Funny you should mention the 20D and 2005, mine were taken at about the same time, also with my old 20D too!

Be interesting see what we can do to improve on them, do you mind if I have a try with yours??

Asher Kelman

John,

Did I stress how beautiful I think the light is shining through the petals? The outer petals seem to be holding up a goblet, like in a communion!

Asher

John_Nevill

Asher, yes your right, the stem looks lifeless.

Janet, feel free to adjust in any way you see fit.

I may well revisit this weekend.

Asher Kelman

Will,

I know how the second one was taken: Toyo, 8x10 Polaroid, can't remember the lens and shutter settings! Available indoor incandescent light enhanced with a white card reflector.

The first picture shows very nice detail on the foreground flowers. Is that LF too?

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Attempt 2!!

Hi John

My second and final attempt, I'm hoping you'll show me how it should be done... oh well, I've enjoyed trying...... (hope you don't mind my quick, clumsy attempts!)

johnN.jpg

John_Nevill

Janet, many thanks for putting the time into this.

I prefer the later one, the delicacy is retained. The first one looked a little coarse, if thats the right term.

Its difficult to get the balance right between detail and tone. I think you've got it about right.

I feel a visit to M&S coming on, to pick up some irises or other flora, they always have a huge array of high quality flowers at reasonable prices.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Asher, that was a Calumet C1 8x10 with a Nikon 240mm f5.6 lens.

The yellow flower was a 1DmkII with the 85mm f1.2 L.(I think???)

Will,

I know how the second one was taken: Toyo, 8x10 Polaroid, can't remember the lens and shutter settings! Available indoor incandescent light enhanced with a white card reflector.

The first picture shows very nice detail on the foreground flowers. Is that LF too?

Asher