• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Apple for your eyes!

I took this picture today trying to explore some creativity.

51.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
And you did well! To my knowledge it's original? I don't recall seing other work like this. Let's see what has been done before. Did you by any chance darken the center or get that core from another apple?

Thanks for posting!

If there was anything on you mind that lead you to this, could you share your thoughts.

Asher

Again: Story, title, context, camera, lens, aperture, ISO and shutter speed. Otherwise it's just a posting of fun pictures. It's better when someone can search and find this thread!

Thanks for the compliment. It is, like most of my works, completely original without any center darkening or image infusion.

EXIF:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
Image Date: 2007:11:04 15:53:11
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 100.0mm
CCD Width: 4.94mm
Exposure Time: 0.500 s (1/2)
Aperture: f/7.1
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great! And the thinking behind it? One minute the apple was whole. How did the idea come about? Also, the title?
Asher

EXIF:

Flash Used: No
CCD Width: 20.96mm
Exposure Time: 0.100 s (1/10)
Aperture: f/5.6

450.jpg

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Arun

Like Duke I really like the onion, it seems to be floating, you must also have either very good knife skills or a mandolin slicer to get such a perfect slice!!

You have a distinctive style that I really like, I think I could probably spot one of yours from a bunch of others, very well done!

Could you tell us about your lighting set-up was it just a single flash head, on or off camera?

Thank you, Janet and Duke. The thing I like about macro photography is the variations in presentation. One could shoot the same subject in so many ways and achieve a completely different feel.

To answer your query, the onion was sliced using a commercial slicer used in a local restaurant. The lighting was a spotlight. The sliced onion was held off the ground by a very small stand that remains hidden behind.

EXIF (for onion picture):

Flash Used: No
CCD Width: 35.81mm
Exposure Time: 2.000 s
Aperture: f/9.0
Metering Mode: Matrix

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Arun

Very interesting to know a little more about how you achieved this. I'm also fascinated by the potential of macro and wondered how the onion seemed to be floating, what a good idea to use a hidden stand, very clever, thanks for providing this additional information.