• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I need an opinion please

Rachel Foster

I'm not sure this is appropriate, so I'm tossing it out to the powers that be.

Our local community art gallery has accepted me as an "artist" and is going to handle some of my photos. I've got plans for the profits: I'm in the process of establishing a scholarship fund. Most of the profits from the sale of my photos (keeping fingers crossed that someone will actually buy my photos!) will go to the Foster Lifson Undiscovered Artists Fund. This fund will pay tuition for art classes taught by the community art gallery for area children from disadvantaged families. It might also pay for art supplies.

Frankly, I don't care if these children have a bit of artistic talent. I just want to provide a child with an opportunity to have fun s/he might otherwise not have.

The fund will be "in perpetuity" or something, which means there needs to be a basic amount before any money will be disbursed.

Now, the question of what is appropriate: When the fund is established, it will accept donations as well as garner money through sales of photos. Would it be acceptable to post the url where donations might be accepted?

I totally understand if this is not acceptable. I would never ask if this were not a cause I am committed to and believe in fervently. But, again, I understand if this is not appropriate for OPF.

Thanks for reading. Rachel

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Rachel,

In stages, I can comment. It's wonderful to be sharing. So I like the idea of simply donating the money you get to the community art school for the puprose with the stipulation that they use 100% of the money for the purpose you prescribe.

You must avoid taking responsibility for more than just giving the money to a good cause. It is a massive black hole in time and psychosocial resources to deal any more directly.

Next, I'd not collect money. I had to spend a lot of time on the one person we helped from OPF to carry out due diligence and it is a very serious job.

Down the road, OPF may eventually have a tax-dedictable charity when we have a framework to deal with it. We'd not do anything in OPF until then.

So in summary, donating your money is wonderful. Collecting money is not something one should take on lightly. Use the school to act as a buffer between yourself and the recipients!

Anyway, that's my $0.02! :)

Asher

Last edited:

Barry Johnston

Please forgive my stupidity Asher, but what does phsycolicial mean ? I'm not familiar with that word at all, in fact I have never heard it before....

Thanks,
Barry.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Please forgive my stupidity Asher, but what does phsycolicial mean ? I'm not familiar with that word at all, in fact I have never heard it before....

Thanks,
Barry.
I googled the word and got psychosocial! :)

"Psycholicial" does sound pretty edgy behavior! Actually Licial is a polyester derived from woodpulp. There's currently an oversupply on the world market! So people are going psycholicial!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Ah, Asher, you have a point there. It might well be better to just set up the fund and let it do its own thing. Them two cents might be worth a lot more.