• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

C1 "bible"

I just got a copy of something called CAPTURE ONE APPLIED CRAFTSMANSHIP / ADVANCED APPLICATION MANUAL by Walter Borchenko.

I asked if something like this existed to be able to extract more potential from my DB in the Phase forum and they mentioned it and said it could be obtained from my dealer. I got a really good deal with the price that I don't want to quote here but that is high, and just had time to browse a bit since I got it today at 5pm.

There are mayor elements in C1 that I think I was not using, so this will be very useful. Also it comes with a CD and "a free 3 month subscription to CAPTURE UNIVERSITY"

What do you think? Capture University...

Anyway, just wanted to ask you all if any knows about this.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Funny, Leonardo, I thought you were referring to C1 and Bibble!

I see now you are talking about the word from heaven in a book!

How much does it retail for and could you write something up for us, perhaps, a sort of progress report, if you do commit yourself to work through it!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Funny, Leonardo, I thought you were referring to C1 and Bibble!

I see now you are talking about the word from heaven in a book!

How much does it retail for and could you write something up for us, perhaps, a sort of progress report, if you do commit yourself to work through it!

Asher

Good but expensive news!

I am also a fan of C1 for many years… so thanks Leonardo for the info…

One may download from Phaseone a PDF presentation of the book:
http://www.phaseone.com/upload/c1_ac_0507_001.pdf

and if you Google CAPTURE ONE APPLIED CRAFTSMANSHIP / ADVANCED APPLICATION MANUAL by Walter Borchenko you'll get a lot of shops to buy from…
I'm sure threr's a lot to learn from that book, but phewwwww…

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

at the bottom of the page of the pdf link , their motto says 'passion & profit' ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

Eric Hiss

I just got a copy of something called CAPTURE ONE APPLIED CRAFTSMANSHIP / ADVANCED APPLICATION MANUAL by Walter Borchenko.

I asked if something like this existed to be able to extract more potential from my DB in the Phase forum and they mentioned it and said it could be obtained from my dealer. I got a really good deal with the price that I don't want to quote here but that is high, and just had time to browse a bit since I got it today at 5pm.

There are mayor elements in C1 that I think I was not using, so this will be very useful. Also it comes with a CD and "a free 3 month subscription to CAPTURE UNIVERSITY"

What do you think? Capture University...

Anyway, just wanted to ask you all if any knows about this.

Oddly enough I was just visiting their website yesterday. Wondered if it was worth it. Let us know. I'm sure I'm not using all of what C1 has to offer.

So you have seen the price... well, I got a fantastic discount from my Calumet dealer, he must like me or something.
I saw a lot of two things that I want to get in to: one is the something called "COLOR EDITOR". Can you believe that I had no idea such thing was there at all? The other is to make profiles and save them. This is another area of the learning curve that I have to climb.

I could organize a C1 applied craftsmanship workshop here in New York with your help, Asher, but it may also be one more of my promised but not delivered projects...

Anyway, one small tip that I got from my first preliminary reading:

Save your sessions well to get out of trouble. The worst place seams to be the desktop where your computer has to assign permissions to al images and thumbnails with carbon copies. The images folder may also be locked out of your access in some cases, so Mr. Borchenko suggests to save the sessions on a shared file.

I also learned from Phase One that C1 4 will have sessions, that they took them out of the beta because it is not the C1 PRO...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is exciting Leornado!

It's like discovering the tomb of Tutankhamen! I was thinking that we knew what we knew. Now this is a great opening. We'll PM re a course!

Asher

maybe this is why there is still no documention for the beta 4.0

When Michael Tapes was promoting C1, there were lots of videos available. When RawShooter came out, there was a decent manual at the announcement, written by a nature photographer. For C1 4.0 beta, so far all I have found is a partial list of keyboard shortcuts, which doesn't answer any of the questions I have about where things are found in the revised workflow. Has anyone found useful basic material, enough to get to where you begin learning by yourself with your own material? Preferable for free, not for a price which would make even Adobe gasp.

scott

Image Workers Unite In The Wikimanual

we would have to see how much different C1-v4 is from the old C1. Apparently the "sessions" protocol will remain the same. There was big upheaval in the forumsfear when people saw that the first beta had no sessions.

I think that we would have to wait for the final v4 to come out. (the good thing of having a back is that I can always upgrade my C1 DB, a version of C1 that works with Phase files from the backs)

But going back to what Scott said, Phase people say that there is plenty of information on their website. I think that there is some, but the need for a comprehensive manual is also there. The problem is that this program user base is not as wide as Photoshop, and or people assume that users are busy well to do photographers...

I think that this book is good, but a bit -- or a lot-- overpriced. For what I saw on the Phase website AND the manual I have not understood the way the Color Editor works...

Maybe the solution would be --- we would need Ashers help figuring this out -- to make a WIKI-MANUAL OF C1-4. A manual with articles written and edited by users of C1 from this forum... free ! and up to date...

I have no idea how to set up a wiki something, but someone must know...

Maybe the solution would be --- we would need Ashers help figuring this out -- to make a WIKI-MANUAL OF C1-4. A manual with articles written and edited by users of C1 from this forum... free ! and up to date...

Sounds good if, and only if, PhaseOne gets of of their lazy ass and contributes funds in appreciation, e.g. to Asher to pay for OPF image upload storage space. And it should be mentioned that this WIKI was an initiative by OPF members.

Bart

It is essentially democracy in the digital/internet world, but the down side is that there is no money or fame in it, or even pride of authorship. The only benefit is to be able to access the manual and use it. There could be a manual on the 3D (wen it comes) and on color profiling, and many other topics.

The ADVANCED APPLICATION MANUAL had a special bonus code that allows me to go for 3 months --virtually-- to something called ... get ready ...-- The Capture University --- So, I will go there and report on the 9th heaven of digital photography theory.

This wiki idea is just that, an idea, I would probably contribute to it, but, if it seams too much like utopia, then...

PRICE DROP "$140 or less"

This was posted on the Phase Forum... good news PRICE DROP It is a post by Walter Borchenko ... we may not have to do the wiki after all?

Hi Chris, Steve,

Thanks for your interest in my course.

If you contact Dtek, Teamwork, Flash Centre or Direct Digital Imaging they should all have books in stock at 140 or less. There has been a price drop.

I do have some testimonials as Rebecca pointed out. As well you can download an article I did with photographer Paul Ives of the UK. To access the article from the Phase One site, go to the Press & Info drop down menu, select PHASEplus archive and choose the September issue. Paul's material is the feature article. In the July/Aug PHASEplus there is also a good article about photographer Neil Latham. Both of these photographers have purchased the book.

The important thing is to start to take advantage of the concepts in the Applied Craftsmanship book. It can save most of the post-production work people do now, depending on what type of photography you do.. The focus is on doing things in capture that take seconds instead of retouching for hours later.

The Capture One tools that assist with the process will be enhanced with Capture 4 Pro but the concept and tools will be essentially the same.

The tools themselves are very simple to operate, as most everything that Phase develops is. The focus of the course is to create real world examples of how to practically use these tools. This is achieved by using the 50+ RAW files that are supplied to go through exercises to internalize the concepts. It then becomes simple matter of applying this to your work every day.

I do not expect that the Capture One 4 Pro version will be that much different from the 3.7.8 version we have now for Mac users when it comes to workflow. I do expect a lot of updates based on what we have in Capture One 4. The changes for PC users will be significant!

Capture-U.com is a site I have created to supply the materials of the book on-line as well as updates. This site is still under construction although there is now a sample course available in the course area. With the purchase of a book, there is an number that gives 3 months free access to this subscription site. Since the materials are still in production, I have not started the clock on the 3 months. I will only start the 3 months free access once all of the book content is on-line. In addition, I am working with a number of photographers to offer courses on specific photographic disciplines as a separate offering.