• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I got My Canon EOS 1DsMKIII today!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Clouds

Will,

There are some really nice softboxes up this way courtesy of Mother Nature. Some of the most interesting photography can be had from post rain and during rain...that beautiful bright green grass....oh the color can just sing.

Mine finally showed up today, battery charging.

No problems so far, but I ran out of daylight before I could get to it and I can only do so much in the studio without a live model to give me a real impression.

So far though, it seems to be better overall then my 1DsMkII (and it better). I like the view finder (very glad I kept the other piece for the angle finder C as the eye-piece mount required the larger size).

Not very extensive testing, but it seems to focus better then my 1DsMkII does. So, so far no focus problems (not that I would expect them this time of year around my location).

In Short, I like it and I can finally part with my 10D as backup, took long enough.

Mine finally showed up today, battery charging.

Congratulations! Although fully discharging is not necessarily required or recommended for Lithium Ion batteries, it would be useful to learn from you, or some of the other lucky ones, how long it takes to charge after an almost full discharge.

if I like the view finder (very glad I kept the other piece for the angle finder C as the eye-piece mount required the larger size).

That's useful to know, thanks. Now, where did I store mine ...

Bart

Some notes from today, shooting outside - still no models, but amazingly to me, still flowers at the local rose garden. So I took a lot of pictures of Roses, Trees, posts, and seagulls. Even snuck in a person picturer or two, not posed.

So far in comparison to my 1DsMkII (what I have to compare it too), what focus problems?

The MkIII focuses far far better then my 1DsMkII. Didn't miss a single Seagull (or at least not enough to notice) in AI-Servo and One-shot. With my 1DsMkII I would be lucky to get 2 out of 3 and 1 out of 3 is more likely in one shot mode. In AI Servo, you either get the set or you miss it with the 1DsMkII. Seagulls ain't racing cars, but they have a nasty habit of flying directly over head when I am taking pictures.

I love the color coming out of the 1DsMkIII, the 1DsMkII shots look positively lifeless in comparison without processing.

And I found out all sorts of cool things I like about the new camera today that I like.

I am still mixed on the AF point selection though (seems to be okay for the ones I am most likely to use. Still have complaint that they don't go out far enough for my taste. With time though I suspect I will get used to how it works.

I do note one potentially disturbing thing, I think it is actually a lens issue, but I had not observed similar effects except with my 70-300 DO lens, which has issues, but what do you expect for the trade offs for that lens.

With both my 85/f1.2L mkI and my 70-200/f2.8L IS, I noticed a ghosting like effect with a distinct edge at some locations. It appears to only occur in areas that are just far enough out of focus, but not too far out of focus. The annoying part is it has a distinct edge to it. It also seems to occur away from the center in direction, but given the subject matter I only noted it when there was a noticeable contrast and distance between subject and background and only in the 1/3rd from center area. I didn't see it on the edges or the center (but given the focus was at the center).

I suspect the lenses, but it being winter the sun is long gone for today and I have not yet been able to repeat it in the studio (more lack of time, then number of attempts). I did not note it on my 100-400, but the subjects had complimentary backgrounds for all of those shots. Basically so far I have only noted it on my two best lens.

I am still leaning towards user mis-understanding at this point, with lens being second choice. I believe it is only maybe showing up because of the resolution from the new camera.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome, Although I will say that overall the images still look better coming out of the 1DsMkIII and that is what is really important.

Ray West

Hi Tim,

Very quick reply, could maybe the ghosting be due to condensation/misting of the lens/filter, whatever, in the outdoor cold?

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Tim,

Very quick reply, could maybe the ghosting be due to condensation/misting of the lens/filter, whatever, in the outdoor cold?

Best wishes,

Ray

It may be December in Virginia, but it was 70 degrees out, Sunny, and fairly dry so I don't thing that was it or it would have been a hazy image, plus the outline of the ghost images was too sharp. I would guess a lens element out of alignment or incorrectly designed if not for the fact they worked great on my 1DsMkII. At this point it is just more of a curiousity then anything else.
And I have seen what humidity can do (a previous embarrasment) and this was definately not the same problem.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
With both my 85/f1.2L mkI and my 70-200/f2.8L IS, I noticed a ghosting like effect with a distinct edge at some locations. It appears to only occur in areas that are just far enough out of focus, but not too far out of focus. The annoying part is it has a distinct edge to it. It also seems to occur away from the center in direction, but given the subject matter I only noted it when there was a noticeable contrast and distance between subject and background and only in the 1/3rd from center area. I didn't see it on the edges or the center (but given the focus was at the center).

Hi Tim
thanks for you 1st notes…
the one quoted do worry me, in order to check on my own Ds3, could you post a 100% crop showing this issue (together with say a 800 pix of the whole pic so we can locate the crop)?

That would really help…

Are you aware of the discussions prompted by Rob Galbraiths latest report on the autofocus performance of the 1D MK3, e.g. on Fred Miranda's forum, but also on the German dforum.net? If not, please have a look at
http://http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/596128/0
The issue seems to be ghosting in parts of images, maybe this is similar to what you are experiencing. If so, this would point to a common design flaw in both cameras beyond the issue of the auxiliary mirror :-((

On can only hope that Canon's next offering will be designed to re-establish their tarnished reputation and to blow the competition away ;-))

-- Jürgen

Okay lets see if I remembered how to do this right. No correction to image (and they look way better on my photo computer then on this, my internet, computer) I think it is time to profile my computers again.

I picked the most obvious one I could find quickly. The ghosting should be real evident on the left side of the rose.

the first should be the full image reduced to 800pixels on the long side and sharpened for taste compressed at PS CS3 level 9 when saved.

LWI_0054_edit_full%20image.jpg

The second should be the 100% crop with nothing done other then dropping to 8-bit for saving to jpeg format (minimum compression - PS CS3 level 12).

LWI_0054_edit_crop.jpg

And final bit of trivial information, they do the same in DPP, just in case someone wonders.

Last edited:
I was not aware of the RG ghosting observed. So it made me want to test a theory.

However, Having just this very moment finished seeing if I could duplicate it in the studio; and I could; I have determined that it is basically a non-issue from a technical standpoint.

The reason, it also shows up on my 1DsMkII images, although it is not quite as noticeable. I believe this is because the edge of the ghosting is more distinct on the MkIII. which is either something caused by the sensor resolution or maybe the anti-aliasing filter being different (or so I am given to understand it is)

In either case it is not a technical "problem" with the 1DsMkIII. However the fact it is more noticeable may be a cause for potential worry for some applications.

And BTW, it is very easy to duplicate using live view and a little magnification. I again note that it shows up best when you have strong contrast between the slightly out-of-focus subject and the background, with the background being relatively even (by nature or by blurring from DoF. It seems to occur best with a strong clean edge.

So at this point it is as I mentioned as a possibility it is just a case of user not observing something that had been occurring before because it is a new camera and I am trying to get used to it. Although it is indeed more noticeable then it had been before, because of the camera.

and just to be esoteric, It might affect the Bokeh of the image in a negative manner, but until I get some model shots in I can't say if I care. It does affect some percentage of the Rose shots I took yesterday, but except for one or two not enough to worry about; especially given I would usually miss more total shots with my 1DsMkII.