• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First time shooting humans!

I must tell you I am a lot more comfortable shooting flowers and alligators than I was this past Saturday on my first people shoot. I went to the Japanese Gardens in Houston with a friend from work, her husband, and their two beautiful little girls. She has been wanting me to photograph her girls even though I kept telling her I didn't know if I could or not. I finally gave in. I had just received a new SB-800 flash for my D200 and I also had a Gary Fong LightSphere to help diffuse the lighting. I don't know if any of you experts ever use one of those but to my untrained and inexperienced eye it seems to work very nicely. I took a few test shots of the same subject without flash, with regular flash, and then with flash and the LightSphere. Those were definitely the most pleasing.

I ended up putting 171 different images on a cd for the family and they really loved them. Parents are funny that way. These little girls were so beautiful and so much fun to be around it made it practically impossible to take a "bad" picture, at least in Mom and Dad's eyes. It was a great experience for me though and all in all I think it was a very positive one from which I learned a lot of things that will help me in later situations. I also have a much greater appreciation for those of you that do this for your living and make such wonderful images for us to enjoy. I had forgotten how hard it is just keeping up with a 1 and 2 year old, much less try photographing them at the same time. I think I was as tired as they were when it was finally over.

Here are a couple that I came away with. Feel free to lay it on me as far as technique, composition, anything else that might help me improve as I plan on doing more of this very soon and could use all the help I can get. The second image, although probably completely technically wrong, ended up being one of my favorites. Her eyes were absolutely gorgeous and I am sure a lot of young men will have major problems with those someday.

_DSC2365.jpg

_DSC2283.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi James,

I believe that free ranging fun photography has its own nature and as long as you stay with the kids and track theri natural antics, the parents will be so happy. Its so hard to get kids to perform on command. Some kids are perfect naturals ofr posing and one can get the composition right and they deliver the expression. Someone posted about 2 months ago such a child who in fact controlled the moment. Such a child is a gem sent my outer space beings to make a photographer's life perfect.

In the real world, kids are not easy subjects. So it's great that parents adore their own kids.

The first picture has a great element for children, that's the "peek-a-boo" moment. Children love playing htis game. Its looking into a new world or else having some mystery revealed. I'd have had the kids hands holding the branches on the right. That child on the lower right has some social magentism that can be exploited. I'd keep returning to that spot to make something beyond what the parents like. The child on the upper left is distracting but I'd like to see more. How did she get there?

Asher

Thanks for looking Asher. It was a grand experiment that I am very glad to have participated in. The girls were absolute angels. I am sure I will get another chance to improve. The parents were overjoyed with their babies and I just ordered a boatload of prints for them. The real reason I did the shoot was just to see how I could do with people. I need the practice. This Saturday I will be shooting my wife's company Christmas party. It will be a totally different experience however being indoors with many different lighting scenarios. I look forward to the challenge.
James