• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

White Sands National Monument

Allen Maestas

One of my favorite images from white sands, hope you enjoy it too.

Al

231317760-X3.jpg

This is also in the "Lakes in Landscape" collection here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Allen,

The picture is remarkable. I like the idea that the sun is fighting with the hills and will soon vanish (or appear?). Could you explain a little about how the picture was made.

Did you take other pictures of that lake?

I visited your first website and liked the image of that floating duck with water over it. Had it just landed? It was 1/49. I also am impressed by the beach photograph with a family in the center of a wide vista.

These two pictures are well-framed. In neither case was I asking myself, where the rest of the picture.

Thanks,

Asher

Allen Maestas

Thanks Don And Asher, glad you liked this one. Asher this image is a blend of two exposures, there was about a 2-stop difference. And yes I took many shots with the many pools of water at white sands that year. You will not see many images of white sands with standing pools of water.

Al

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Don And Asher, glad you liked this one. Asher this image is a blend of two exposures, there was about a 2-stop difference. And yes I took many shots with the many pools of water at white sands that year. You will not see many images of white sands with standing pools of water.
Hi Allen,

I have never been there so I'm learning from you about this location. I'd like to see more pictures. One point I'd like to offer, and why I pointed out the pictures I did was that the framing of the main subjects.

I do like the picture on the beach as one is not asking, "Where is the rest of that magnificent cloud?" These are very personal perspectives to photography. One can cut off part of a major object, of course. However, the "draw" or "magnetism" in the picture must not suffer. That's why I like the beach picture and the duck.

Oh, I didn't ask before about the blue sand. Did it really look that way? I like the effect, in any case.

Asher

Allen Maestas

Hi Allen,

I have never been there so I'm learning from you about this location. I'd like to see more pictures. One point I'd like to offer, and why I pointed out the pictures I did was that the framing of the main subjects.

I do like the picture on the beach as one is not asking, "Where is the rest of that magnificent cloud?" These are very personal perspectives to photography. One can cut off part of a major object, of course. However, the "draw" or "magnetism" in the picture must not suffer. That's why I like the beach picture and the duck.

Oh, I didn't ask before about the blue sand. Did it really look that way? I like the effect, in any case.

Asher

There can and most often are more than one main subject in a photo, especially with landscape photography. Fluidity of composition is what is important. The sand at twilight will reflect whatever color the sky is, just like snow. The blue color is exaggerated, but not by much, and gives the feeling I wanted to portray. Color cast is very important in Landscape photography to create mood and atmosphere. I like my images to be very close to reality but with a sense of surreal. Art is all subjective, there is no right or wrong, only what is pleasing to ones senses :)

Al