• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Queen Victoria - Maiden Voyage Fireworks

John Harper

Hi There

As many of you may be aware we have had Cunards latest Ocean Liner in port in Southampton for her official naming ceremony, and she set sail at 5.15pm this evening on her maiden voyage, accompanied by a firework display.

I thought i would try a different vantage point for these shots and ended up at the top of the local shopping centres multi storey car park, some 60 feet or so in the air. The ship was around ¼ mile away. So out with the tripod and on with the 70-200mm F2.8L.

The ship was already moving when the Fireworks started so i was unable to get sharp shots of her with the fireworks in the background, however i did get a couple of shots i was pleased with and post them below.

As always comments and critiques welcome.

John

Shot 1 EOS 1D MKIIN 70-200 F2.8L @ 200mm ISO 400 1/80 @ F2.8

qv1.jpg

Shot 2 EOS 1D MKIIN 70-200 F2.8L @ 70mm ISO 200 1.6" @ F16

qv2.jpg

Shot 3 EOS 1D MKIIN 70-200 F2.8L @ 70mm ISO 200 1.6" @ F16

qv3.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How wonderful!

John, this is a moment of joy. I love these pictures for the fun and nostalgia, although the latter is not what it used to be, like the other Cunard Queens.

This is the first time I've heard about this new ocean liner!!!! I though that such ships were history and Cunard would never bring out another. But why a Queen Victoria? It's so not modern! That was the time of a British Raj over the Indian Continent and when the Royal Navy rules the seas. That was the era of one of the greatest British merchant marine.

Anyway, why did Cunard keep it such a secret? I've seen zilch in the papers. So any info would be great!

On your first picture, how much can one see though those windows at full resolution and did you think of making a stitched pano of the giant ship?

Asher