• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

some experiances of hdd manufacturers

John_Nevill

I avoid Maxtor drives like the plague anyway. IMO they are absolutely the poorest quality drives out there.

- DL

I'd 2nd that motion Don, I wouldn't touch Maxtor with a barge pole!

My experience with Maxtor is nothing but problems, they are prone to seizure. I've sent more than few back.

I currently favour Samsung Spinpoints, they may not be the fastest, but they are quiet, reliable and good value.

Back to the topic, most pirated warez nowadays is delivered through usenet and bit torrent feeds, so stopping someone from sharing mp3s and files through some embedded code on your hard disk is just a CYA exercise, easily got round.

I'd be more woriied about the latest sniffers that ISPs use. They can collect all manner of information whilst your surfing away, totally transparent to the end user.

The best way to stop prying eyes is to encrypt your data.

John Hollenberg

I avoid Maxtor drives like the plague anyway. IMO they are absolutely the poorest quality drives out there.

- DL

Agree 100%. The Maxtor drives are crap and should be avoided for that reason. I had multiple failures of Maxtor drives, never a problem with Western Digital. Seagate was fine also, but not as fast. I just bought 3 750 GB WD drives, formatted 'em up and stored my images on them (2 internal, one external to be kept at another location). These drives have been great so far.

--John

John Sheehy

Agree 100%. The Maxtor drives are crap and should be avoided for that reason. I had multiple failures of Maxtor drives, never a problem with Western Digital. Seagate was fine also, but not as fast. I just bought 3 750 GB WD drives, formatted 'em up and stored my images on them (2 internal, one external to be kept at another location). These drives have been great so far.

I, on the other hand, have never had a Maxtor fail on me, and in fact, the only drives that have failed on me were Western Digitals and an old Miniscribe 20MB. And that's with a ratio of about 2:1 for Maxtor:WD purchases.

I, on the other hand, have never had a Maxtor fail on me, ...

Same here (LaCie external drives often contain Maxtor drives), but then I've also never had a Western Digital drive fail on me either. Our individual experiences usually just represent a small sample from a huge population. The only one that died on me was an IBM one.

However, Maxtors are nowadays the B-brand of Seagate, and probably for a reason. I do read about Maxtor drives failing more often than Seagate or WD branded ones. A benefit of the current Western Digital (SATA) drives (which come in 2 grades of MTBF) does seem to be that they run at lower temperatures and with lower audible noise. Added to reliability that, for me, is worth their recommendation.

Bart