• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Matting and framing, part deux :)

Michael Seltzer

So if you liked the first matting and framing question, here's another...

If you custom make your own mats and/or frames, what equipment do you like, or don't like? Logan? Altos? Fletcher? What for frames? I'm thinking of getting some. Also, what's a good paper trimmer?

Thanks again,
Michael

ron_hiner

Michael - I don't know anyting about matte cutters... but I had the same thought today when I was as Bed & Bath -- a housewares store -- today. They had a bunch of simple and inexpensive frames that looked nice except for bad mattes. I was wondering would it would take to buy the frames and cut my own mattes.

On a separate note, I have a rotatrim trimmer and I LOVE IT. I do have one regret - I wish I purchased a larger one -- I bought the 15" because my printer maxed out at 13" . I should have bought one to handle 19". Then I'd be able to use 13x19 paper for my 6x18 panos.

As near as I can tell, it's impossible to amputate fingers with the rotatrim -- I feel absolutely comfortable leaving it out when my kids are home. In fact, they frequently use it for their school projects.

Ron

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Michael's

Michael's is a good place (the arts and crafts store) - they have 1/2 off sales on their frames all the time - they are owned by Aaron Brothers and they have a good selection of mats precut as well as they will make them custom. Lots of selection.

I have also used Frame Destination (google them) and ordered frames and mats from them - they are geared to photographers and their selection is very nice. Not inexpensive but good quality stuff with lots of choices.

Alain Briot

pro member
When I cut mats by hand I use a C&H Pro mat cutter. Because I cut many mats I mainly use an Eclipse computerized matcutter: http://www.eclipsecmc.com. The advantages of a computerized matcutter include precision, speed, repeatability, the ability to save all mat designs, the ability to design any mat you can think of, etc. The disadvantages are cost and the required space to set it up.

Buy the most expensive matcutter you can afford because cheap matcutters are hard to use. I found that out the hard way. You will be glad you did when you start to cut many mats. You will save yourself a lot of headaches and you will save wasted matboard.

Paul Caldwell

Matt Cutters

Consider the fletcher 2200, it's not a cheap machine, however if you are are going to cut large mats, up to 30 x 40, it's a very nice solution. The 2200 is a traditional table top design. There are other designs where you have the cutter standing upright, I believe one is the Mattpro. Logan makes a good middle of the road machine.

The Fletcher takes some tweaking to get it working perfectly and how good you cut is very very dependent on a true piece of board. The computer machines are more flexible, but the cost and total number of cuts I need to make, kept me away from it.

Paul C

Mike Bailey

pro member
On Logan's "middle of the road".... For a long time, I've used the Logan Framers Edge model 655, about $500 from places like United Manufacturer's (unitedmfrs.com) and Dick Blick (dickblick.com), the 48 inch model. For more or less money you can get shorter or longer versions. Anyhow, this middle of the road version is excellent and certainly a huge step up from most other cheaper cutters and will give you good, clean repeatable cuts with precise corners.

As far as resources, United Manufacturers is probably one of the best places to go for prices on framing and matting supplies, though they are business-to-business and require that you provide some form of business identification, tax number, reseller number, or the like.

Mike

Paul Caldwell

Middle of the Road

Mike,

Sorry if I offended you with my term "middle of the road", I didn't mean it to refer to quality, just price point. I have and still use a Logan 60" in my daily work.

Paul Caldwell

Mike Bailey

pro member
Paul,

That's one thing that's hard with email/text, short of emoticons! I was just quoting "middle of the road" as a price point. Actually I had looked at the Fletcher 2200 since a gallery/framing shop owner and photographer friend of mine had used one for years in his shop. However, the price was beyond what I could justify as far as a business expense, forever a consideration relative to your level of volume.

Mike

Maria Lawson

I have the Logan 450 intermediate, and I love it. I just matte stuff for class so its all straight edges with the bevel in the middle. I am not sure if there are other ways to matte, but I have never had a problem with mine. My teacher has complemented them if that helps :) but that might be because of the blades and not the cutter. But, for a cheaper 40" matte cutter I think it works awesome.

Michael Seltzer

Thank you all--and thank you Nicolas for fixing my spelling. I'll be going into the city in a couple of days, and hope to have a look at some mat cutting systems.

Michael

Bill Graham

I use the Logan 450, it's definitely not production-grade equipment but it does a decent job for occasional use.

I'm hoping to find a used Esterly Speed-Mat sometime this year, I got a quote from the company for a new one and it's totally out of my price range for casual use. But if I was doing this professionally, it would definitely be hanging on the wall.

For frames, I mostly use the standard pre-cut metal frames from Michaels, Dick Blick or Sam Flax. Occasionally the local frame shop will discount frames and I'll pick up a couple if I like them.

Bill