• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wide Angle lenses for the Hy6? Schneider, Rodenstock, Zeiss, tricks with adapters?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What are the widest lenses form Rollei, Schneider, Zeiss, Rodanstock or even with an adapter that can be used even in manual with the Rollei mount of the Hy6.

The Hasselblad H3 has a 28mm lens, same with the Mamiya. How about this new common platform for Sinar, Rollei and Leaf? Manual would be fine too.

Asher

Eric Hiss

30mm

Hi Asher,
There is a 30mm Super-Angulon f/3.5 HFT PQ in the rollei lens catalog, but I've never seen one for sale. There is also a 30mm f/3.5 HFT PQ F-distagon fisheye which was made for the 6000 series which should fit up to the Hy6. After that there is a 40mm f/3.5 schneider super angulon and a 40mm f/4.0 distagon.

If you have the behind the lens shutter attachment you can mount a 28mm Schneider M-Componon lens but honestly don't know whether it will focus to infinity or not as I've only seen it advertised for macro work.

As an aside, I was trying a poor man's tilt lens with my 6008 and zork MFS adapter. I fitted this to the body cap and mounted my 90mm apo rodagon enlarging lens. Well it actually works with the (extra shutter) the rollei 6008 has behind the mirror - but only at certain speeds. Anyhow I could tell that a much shorter lens would be needed so perhaps you will be able to focus to infinity with the 28mm?

I've seen sample images taken with the 40 f/3.5 and its a very nice lens.

So far everything I've tried for this system has been really impressive. Last week i got a 110mm f/2.0 and that is REALLY nice! I have the 90mm and 120mm macros on order.

Regards,
Eric Hiss

Eric Hiss

forgot to add you can download the lens catalog

a California dealer that I have no connection with nor have I ever bought anything from has the rollei lens catalog (a 20+ page pdf) available for download from his site here:

http://ctrades.com/catalog.pdf

That's the current line up but there are many other older lenses available as well, many of which should also fit to the Hy6

Asher Kelman

Now we need to know what lenses are available now and without selling of one's kidneys!

Also are there adapters to use other lenses?

Asher

Schneider makes the 24/5.6 Apo-Digitar. I'm not sure if this is available for the Hy6, but I suspect you could use your digital back of choice up to formats of 36x48mm with it on other cameras. If you don't really need that kidney, it's offered in a Schneider Electronic Shutter that can take an external controller, so the lens can be mounted in a deep recessed lensboard. For the cost of the shutter arrangement, you could probably get the lens in a helical mount and a Cambo Wide DS camera body and maybe keep both kidneys.

No other lenses available for the Sinar Hy6 as the one I have listed already and refered to by Nicolas.

As for the new AFD lenses, currently the Schneider 2.8/80mm PQS is available, then after Christmas (in January) the Schneider AFD 2.8/50 PQS, followed by the Schneider AFD 2.8/180 PQ, the Schneider AFD 4.0/150 PQS. The Schneider AFD 2.8/35 PQS should be coming end 2nd quarter '08.

Best regards,
Thierry

Schneider makes the 24/5.6 Apo-Digitar. I'm not sure if this is available for the Hy6, but I suspect you could use your digital back of choice up to formats of 36x48mm with it on other cameras. If you don't really need that kidney, it's offered in a Schneider Electronic Shutter that can take an external controller, so the lens can be mounted in a deep recessed lensboard. For the cost of the shutter arrangement, you could probably get the lens in a helical mount and a Cambo Wide DS camera body and maybe keep both kidneys.

Asher Kelman

No other lenses available for the Sinar Hy6 as the one I have listed already and refered to by Nicolas.

As for the new AFD lenses, currently the Schneider 2.8/80mm PQS is available, then after Christmas (in January) the Schneider AFD 2.8/50 PQS, followed by the Schneider AFD 2.8/180 PQ, the Schneider AFD 4.0/150 PQS. The Schneider AFD 2.8/35 PQS should be coming end 2nd quarter '08.

Best regards,
Thierry
This is good news Thierry.

Do you have any idea of the prices likely in the USA and elsewhere?

Also are there as yet any adapters for other lenses that might be used in the interim. I know that these lenses are not likely to have the lens elements aligned as accurately as a modern Schneider line-up or be able to function as well wide open, but at least that might be something for Nicolas to have for wide angle work.

Asher

Asher, I think we have talked about the Hy6 system and wide angle lenses and probably Thierry will be expecting me to get in this thread again.

You have to see the way the Hy6 was conceived and what the differences are to the other two systems (the M and the H). The H in HY6 stands for HYBRID. They wanted to do a camera of the future while maintaining elements of the past. The elements from the past are two: a)film b)Rollei format that is represented by the number 6 as in 6x6.

If you are going to buy this system you have to know that you are getting a hybrid camera that is different than the Hasselblad and Mamiya. It is a different FORMAT, with the good and the bad of that 6 x 6 format.

Here is what I think is the good and the bad

Good ...
* If/when shooting film you get a 6x6 negative, a bit bigger than 6x45 (for most photographers even film will soon be irrelevant, so this is a very insignificant good, in my opinion)
* If/when or whenever they make a 6x6 digital back Hy6 will be ready (this is a very long shot, and such back may never exist, so this is an even more insignificant good)
* Back can rotate or be attached landscape/portrait (this may be the best good)
* Compatible with old 6x6 lenses (this may be the reason for keeping the format square)

Bad ...

You pay all of this "good" by having a a format for the sensor and another for the lens, in other words, the optic system was designed for a larger format than the actual format being used.

In practical terms the distance from end of the rear element of the lens to film plane is such that formulating lenses like the 35mm or 28mm is much harder than a normal camera.

That is why there are no plans to ever produce a 28mm for the HY6 none, nada, niet.

This is not a problem if you are a telephoto shooter or do fashion in a way that you will never need to "zoom out"
If you ask me, I would say that this is a weak system because there is something important that cannot be done with it while competing with other systems that can. This will impact their viability and widespread adoption among the small MF using client base. This field is extremely competitive and whit the Canon 1Ds Mk3, things will get even more competitive. At the same time Phase One is going to announce a system that will be Phase One manufactured by Mamiya, with 645 AFD lens mount. They eve announced that "an European lens manufacturer" will contribute lenses to the system (I hope this lenses will fit my AFD too), probably Schneider or Carl Zeiss. The 28mm is already regarded as best in its class with very minimum barrel distortion and very good sharpness --even better than the 35mmAF--.

Asher Kelman

If you are going to buy this system you have to know that you are getting a hybrid camera that is different than the Hasselblad and Mamiya. It is a different FORMAT, with the good and the bad of that 6 x 6 format.

Here is what I think is the good and the bad

Good ...
* If/when shooting film you get a 6x6 negative, a bit bigger than 6x45 (for most photographers even film will soon be irrelevant, so this is a very insignificant good, in my opinion)
* If/when or whenever they make a 6x6 digital back Hy6 will be ready (this is a very long shot, and such back may never exist, so this is an even more insignificant good)
* Back can rotate or be attached landscape/portrait (this may be the best good)
* Compatible with old 6x6 lenses (this may be the reason for keeping the format square)

Bad ...

You pay all of this "good" by having a a format for the sensor and another for the lens, in other words, the optic system was designed for a larger format than the actual format being used.

The image circle is ~ the same so I don't see the point.

In practical terms the distance from end of the rear element of the lens to film plane is such that formulating lenses like the 35mm or 28mm is much harder than a normal camera.

New materials are available even with mind-popping refractive indices. So there will be wider lenses for this format by someone. Architecture will be done with the Sinar or other back and a Gottschallt, Alpa, Fotoman or other specialty camera that can take the finest new wide angle lenses.

That is why there are no plans to ever produce a 28mm for the HY6 none, nada, niet.

I don't understand you here because Thierry already said they have 28mm!

So what am I missing. It could be that you refer to something else? :)

Yes, it's f 2.8 not 28, LOL! I was reading with my street glasses! Missed the dot! I learned that I should not focus my camera usng my computer glasses! Why don't they have AF glasses!

As far as other cameras, I wouldn't comment except for the Hasselblad which we already know about and is a very well made and integrated system and for that one pays a premium. The great abundance of existing lenses that can fit the Hy6 will make the camera practical for many photographers. What counts is how well this camera body works with its lenses and backs. The Sinar and Leaf backs are real and market tested already. The lenses are here now too. All we need is a variety of experience.

This is a very fluid market.

Asher

P.S. We have our first Hy6 for review! Hopefully we'll be able to give some real value to the debate. Nicolas is the prince of OPF and is using it right at this very moment!

Last edited:
2.8/80mm is different than 28mm

"the Schneider AFD 2.8/35 should be coming end 2nd quarter '08." this is a run of the mill wide angle for MF and even then you will not have it until the summer if not delayed.

A 28mm is not even on the pipeline.

Now regarding the image circle. If you have a 6x6 lens, and you use it on a 6x45 DB there is no problem, as you say, the image circle is larger, not only covers the smaller "film plane realstate" but you would be using the "sweet" center or the lens projection.

If you have a 4x5, a 90mm is a wide lens, super wide could begin from 65mm. On a Nikon 65mm is telephoto. Similar situation applies with 6x6 format and 6x4.5 format. For the first a 50mm is wide and super wide closed to 45mm so if you want a 28mm to have an image circle big enough to cover the 6x6 your engineers are facing an already difficult task to almost impossible level. Not impossible, but probably economically so since the Mamiya lens costs $5k this 6x6 28mm may cost much more than.

In other words, the field is not leveled HY6 designers have complicated the system by making it unnecessarily large format so that it is at a disadvantage to the existing established and leading ones.

The answer of HY6 defenders is :
* Wide angles are overrated
* You need to do wide angle assignment: get an ALPA
* 66 backs may one day grace the planet
* No wide angle, ok, but we have a rotating back

Eric Hiss

I played with a AFi today

So far most of the dealers I have visited in my area (San Francisco) have no plans to offer the Sinar version of the camera which is a bummer. I don't know why. Calumet and Keeble and Shutkat are both only selling Leaf.

Well I got to play around with the AFi today in the store. Since I was shooting my Rollei 6008 AF earlier in the day, I can say a few things. The AFi is lighter, quieter and quicker. It felt very capable and responsive in hand, in a way that I could see would afford a comfortable and confidence inspiring feeling very quickly. The mirror swing seems very well damped but you still get all the feeling of the camera. Hard to describe but its like a nice car that gives you a soft ride but you still feel intimate with the road through the steering wheel and your feet. It's a nice feeling. The AF is much improved from the 6008 AF but still not exactly usable for most shooting. The Hy6 is not alone as they are all the same - whoever thinks that focus recompose is going to work with MFDB is wrong. Why don't they just skip the AF and offer a lower priced camera? Or they could get it right and add about 40 selectable focus points. Oh well. The WLF finder in the AFi was gorgeous. The button layout on the AFi was pretty intuitive everywhere except the grip. After the salesman showed me once, I was able to remove and rotate the back in like 2 seconds, its very simple and clean with positive latch alignment pins. You get it started and it snaps firmly into place.

I have not used a leaf back, and was impressed by the large screen but more or less dumbfounded by all the stuff going on - its halfway to a computer. Seems like it might take a while to learn all of the features.

I compared this also to the H3DII. I'd say the AF is about the same, but I found the H3 harder to hold and MF - and it appears on first blush having used neither that the AFi will be easier to control since everything is easy to get to and falls in the range of the fingers or thumbs. The H3 has a very nice 90 degree prism that really brings out the depth and is very easy to MF with.

Sure seems like we have a lot of nice options now for cameras.

Eric

Good ...

One cannot say that it is insignificant when not knowing the future: this camera has been designed with this aspect in mind. Therefore your "may never exist" speculation is only a speculation. Fact is: the camera is ready for larger sensors, while the H series is not.

Bad ...

see my remarks above: not true, you do not pay any additional money for this. Kindly compare the price of the Sinar Hy6 system with the Hasselblad correspondant system, and you shall be seeing this.

WHO told you this? absolutely speculative thoughts! Nothing has been communicated in either way and this option is open.

If you ask me, I would say that this is a weak system because there is something important that cannot be done with it while competing with other systems that can. This will impact their viability and widespread adoption among the small MF using client base..

Only an opinion: any system has a weakness, and you point out a current weakness downplaying the many others strong points against other systems and therewith the whole system: unfair. It will fit the expectations and needs of many and not of some others, period, and like any existing system. I won't enumerate all the differences and strong points/features compared to other systems here, since they have been communicated many times already.

Best regards,
Thierry

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer of HY6 defenders is :
* Wide angles are overrated
* You need to do wide angle assignment: get an ALPA
* 66 backs may one day grace the planet
* No wide angle, ok, but we have a rotating back

- Nobody from Sinar has ever claimed that wide angles (understand rather "short focal lenght") is overrated, in the contrary, nor to use an Alpa in case one needs it.

- "No wide angle, ok, but we have a rotating back": who is the "we"?! Again, we have never made such claim or compared a "wide angle" possibility with the "revolvable" (understand WITHOUT taking the back away) possibility. I don't understand why you put this in opposition?!

Best regards,
Thierry

hi Eric,

you seem to be mistaken: here a list of dealers who will be selling (are) the Sinar Hy6 and its lenses and accessories:

http://www.sinarbron.com/dealers.php

Best regards,
Thierry

So far most of the dealers I have visited in my area (San Francisco) have no plans to offer the Sinar version of the camera which is a bummer. I don't know why. Calumet and Keeble and Shutkat are both only selling Leaf.
Eric

Asher Kelman

What counts are pictures by photographers for what they need. After all the success of a system can only be measured by what it does for the narrow purpose it is currently aimed at.

Also, just as Hasselblad lenses have been adapted to Canon, I have no doubt we will see the same with the Hy6 platform if the market demand is unfulfilled. After all between Sinar, Rollei in the Far EAst and Leaf, the market for shorter lenses might grow nicely

Asher

For the record then, Are there current plans to develop a 28mm for the HY6? yes or no.

The arguments to justify the absence of a 28mm are not literal quotes of you Thierry or Sinar, but an attempt on my part to get the spirit what it was said, all in few words, more like the essence of what has been posted here and in other forums in a very extended way.

I think that having a system where no 28mm is available is underestimating the importance of wide angles for professional photographers.

I posted this only because Asher asked about the lens availability for the HY6. I would be happy to be wrong and that Thierry clearly stated that yes, they have one such lens on the pipeline and that it would be as sharp and similarly priced as the other two in its class, but then there is the problem with the architecture of the system itself....

... Since nobody seams to see my point I think I will live it at that, after all I have my digital back and MF system and I'm happy about them, so what do I care.

hi Leonardo,

you can certainly understand that I won't make any statement about a product being in the pipeline or not other than "it is discussed". Further information will certainly be given in due time. The answers lies in much more than in feasibility or technical reasons: it depends on more factors than that, the technical/feasibility reason being the less of a concern for us.

My point was simply to state that ALL options are currently open, and certainly not only the one saying "this lens will never exist".

Importance of WA: we certainly do not underestimate it. You can certainly imagine that we do have lots of statistics, being a 60-year camera and lens manufacturer, to be able to have an idea of the relevance of WA lenses.

Best regards,
Thierry

For the record then, Are there current plans to develop a 28mm for the HY6? yes or no.

I think that having a system where no 28mm is available is underestimating the importance of wide angles for professional photographers.

... Since nobody seams to see my point I think I will live it at that, after all I have my digital back and MF system and I'm happy about them, so what do I care.

Eric Hiss

hi Eric,

you seem to be mistaken: here a list of dealers who will be selling (are) the Sinar Hy6 and its lenses and accessories:

http://www.sinarbron.com/dealers.php

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi Thierry,

Okay I hope Calumet will sell the Sinar as they are the only ones in San Francisco on your dealer list, but I went there last week specifically to see the Hy6 and was told that they had none and if I wanted a demo I could schedule one with the leaf back. Maybe the salesman was mistaken? Hope so... I took his card but left it in my studio. Next time I'm there I'll call him and find out what's up and report back.

Eric

Eric Hiss

Hi Thierry,

Next time I'm there I'll call him and find out what's up and report back.

Eric

Hi Thierry,
A calumet sales flyer arrived today and confirmed that we were both right - Calumet is selling the Hy6 in both Leaf and Sinar flavors.

As posted earlier, so far I have only seen the Leaf AFi in person - I'm still not sure which the Calumet sales guy was referring to when he offered me a demo because they had no cameras to work with and would have needed to coordinate with their distributor.

The camera looks good and it seems like it would be nice to work with. However I have to comment that despite your and others best efforts to provide clarity, there still seems to be a lot of confusion both in sales people and customers about what is being offered, what the differences are, what parts fit what, and what the prices are, and what will be available in terms of promotions/upgrades and packages.

None of the sales men that I talked with were able to give me a compelling reason to upgrade from my 6008 AF. I mean other than more exif data, what's going to be better in terms of functionality or image quality? Anyone could just buy a used 6008, some lenses, and fit a sinar back and get the same images and leave a ton of money in their pocket. Why go for the Hy6? Why should I pay more than $10,000 for a new camera that does not offer much more in terms of function or image quality?

Seems like a big part of the market for these cameras are shooters that have used the lenses and the previous generation Rollei 6000 series. Why not encourage them to upgrade?

I spoke to a distributor directly, and he offered a somewhat cryptic response that its early in the year yet and that I should wait a few months before looking at upgrades. Wonder what that means exactly? Does he suppose that I'll have more options for backs on my 6008 or a more favorable upgrade price to the newer camera? He did not say. To me this is just another example of the cloud of confusion around these new products.

Eric

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Anyone could just buy a used 6008, some lenses, and fit a sinar back and get the same images and leave a ton of money in their pocket. Why go for the Hy6? Why should I pay more than $10,000 for a new camera that does not offer much more in terms of function or image quality?
Eric,

Obviously some will start off with a 6008 and a Sinar back. So what prices are you seeing for this and what are the savings compared to using the Hy6 body?

Asher

Dear Eric,

yes, the Sinar Hy6 will definitively be sold by all the dealers listed in my given link. No doubt about this.

As for some confusion existing, I can't comment on that. In my countries (Asia - Pacific), there are clear prices available, with kits proposed, the list of the lenses & accessories (existing or to come) have been published, as well their prices, etc ...
Also our distributor SBI in the USA has already published all theses kits and accessories prices, as well all of the possible kits/packages available.

I shall try to post them a bit later today or tomorrow, being a bit busy right now.

As well, a document with all the features and technical data has been published since months, my myself and others, explaining what this system can and what are the advantages compared with other existing systems, included on this forum and on the request from somebody.

So I guess yes, one of the problems is to get this information to the sales men on the front! But that is a problem with not only Sinar products, but with new products launched in general, IMO.

I shall come back with more information soon.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi Thierry,
A calumet sales flyer arrived today and confirmed that we were both right - Calumet is selling the Hy6 in both Leaf and Sinar flavors.

As posted earlier, so far I have only seen the Leaf AFi in person - I'm still not sure which the Calumet sales guy was referring to when he offered me a demo because they had no cameras to work with and would have needed to coordinate with their distributor.

The camera looks good and it seems like it would be nice to work with. However I have to comment that despite your and others best efforts to provide clarity, there still seems to be a lot of confusion both in sales people and customers about what is being offered, what the differences are, what parts fit what, and what the prices are, and what will be available in terms of promotions/upgrades and packages.

None of the sales men that I talked with were able to give me a compelling reason to upgrade from my 6008 AF. I mean other than more exif data, what's going to be better in terms of functionality or image quality? Anyone could just buy a used 6008, some lenses, and fit a sinar back and get the same images and leave a ton of money in their pocket. Why go for the Hy6? Why should I pay more than $10,000 for a new camera that does not offer much more in terms of function or image quality?

Seems like a big part of the market for these cameras are shooters that have used the lenses and the previous generation Rollei 6000 series. Why not encourage them to upgrade?

I spoke to a distributor directly, and he offered a somewhat cryptic response that its early in the year yet and that I should wait a few months before looking at upgrades. Wonder what that means exactly? Does he suppose that I'll have more options for backs on my 6008 or a more favorable upgrade price to the newer camera? He did not say. To me this is just another example of the cloud of confusion around these new products.

Eric

Eric Hiss

Asher,
The camera with 80mm lens and film back is like $12k. You could buy a used 6008 with 80mm lens for like $2k or a AF version for just under $3k. From the published pricing - its not even apparent that one saves money on the backs when bought with the new camera.... The adapter to fit the sinar backs onto the 6008 can be purchased from B&H for under $700. That's why it looks to me like the camera is costing $10k even in the bundle. And it does weigh less, have a better focusing screen, is quieter, provides more exif information but is all that worth nearly $10k more? The AF is improved over the 6008 AF but only with the same 3 points tightly grouped around the center of the camera - will not be usable for fashion or really most any shoots with shallow DOF. Well, I'd like to know what features I'm missing that makes this worth $10k.

When can we see Nicolas' review on the camera?

Eric Hiss

So I guess yes, one of the problems is to get this information to the sales men on the front! But that is a problem with not only Sinar products, but with new products launched in general, IMO.

Best regards,
Thierry

Yes Thierry,
You are so right about that. Doesn't matter if you are buying a car or a camera....its hard to find a salesman that really knows about the product these days. That's one reason I really appreciate your presence on the forums.

The early confusion about the Hy6 either generated on the forums or wherever has persisted and even caused distrust of the actual published facts too.

I realize that your expertise is with the Sinar products, but if you could tell me some of the main features/advantages of the camera over its predecessor or other makes that would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Eric

Here some more information:

First some information from my side, my own opinon, after having used it (already in June '07):

- the first thing which is remarkable, is the position of this camera in the hand: it feels very light, together with the digital back, and also very comfortable to hold. One of the reason for the comfort of holding is the 4-position handgrip, which can be adjusted by a simple button and clicked into another position. The Hy6 feels much lighter than the Rollei 6008, and the feeling in the hand is also very different, IMO.
Also, one does not get tired by holding the camera after the shooting is finished, one can walk around without feeling the urge to lie the camera down because it feels all of a sudden so heavy. The reason here is also the possibility to adjust the grip exactly the way needed when carrying the body (in contrary to the H series, where carrying the camera a while makes oneself being tired after a couple of minutes).

- the autofocus is fast and pretty reliable, at least as fast as the H series, if not faster

- in case of low light conditions, there is a very useful red-light beam projecting a grid and helping the autofocus. This feature works well up to a distance of a few meters only, obviously, nevertheless it helps a lot sometimes.

- what has convinced me to like this camera is the flat-structure menu which makes it very intuitive and easy to use, even for somebody holding the camera the first time: no need to study first all the menus and other sub-menus, all the important functions are easily accessible. One does not need to scroll via menus and sub-menus, but can access the needed functions from the handgrip and with 2 dials.

- another plus point for me are the remarkable new Schneider AFD lenses. They are already famous with the PQ and PQS series (AF or non-AF) for the Rollei 600x bodies, but the new AFD are IMO razor-sharp and astonishing: though of the same construction (same optical formula) as the previous AF, the tolerances are pushed a step higher with the new AFDs. Also, their responsiveness to AF is very good, and even the manual focus is quite impressive and easy, with a good design of the focus barrel. And when one thinks that the quality of the lens for such digital systems is the A and the O in the whole chain (garbage in, garbage out), this is a very plus in the whole system which should and will be recognized by the most demanding photographers, IMO.

- Revolving adapters are currently in production, allowing for positioning from horizontal to vertical without having to take the digital back away: another plus point in comparison to a 645 format (no need to turn the camera, when changing the shooting orientation).

- one more thing I would like to add is the design of the camera and how this camera is born: although it is manufactured by Franke & Heidecke in Germany (Rolleiflex), the Sinar Hy6 (and the 2 other sold brands, the Leaf AF1 and Rolleiflex Hy6) is a completely new camera, especially concerning the internal electronics and motor-drives. It has nothing to do with the Rollei 6008. Admitted, the body itself has some analogy, in its shape and size, with the 6008, and the format is 6x6 as well. Also, the 2 bodies use the same lens mount. But that is about all which can be compared: all electronic elements, the AF, the motor driven mirror, the functions and the menus, the hold in the hand, etc .... are completely different. The camera electronics has been designed by an independent Swiss company whose engineer has worked for Sinar for many years and who developed the Sinar m camera before opening his own company. The general design comes also from an external German company. The whole project has been under the leading of Jenoptik AG, Sinar's owner. That means that this cameras and its sales rights belongs to Jenoptik, being the one who have ordered (and paid for) it.

I will not enter more in details, since I believe that nothing can replace a self-conducted test. What I am writing here is only MY opinion, and some might believe it is biased, due to my position. I understand this. So my recommendation is to test this camera and digital back, and make your opinion yourself. I believe that there should be soon here a report from somebody having been given the Sinar Hy6 for a few weeks to test it in real shooting conditions: he is certainly in a more trustful position to be "listened" to, being a photographer not involved with Sinar. So a little bit patience and you should know more.

I wanted to add here as attachment some other (technical) information for those liking the data sheets. Unfortunately, the limit size of upload allowed (195 kb for a jpg and 20 kb for a pdf) do not allow me to do it.

Asher: how is it possible to attach/upload bigger files?

Best regards,
Thierry

I realize that your expertise is with the Sinar products, but if you could tell me some of the main features/advantages of the camera over its predecessor or other makes that would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Eric

Asher Kelman

Thanks Eric!

Send me the files via You send it.com and I'll post it for download.

Meanwhile, Nicolas is using the camera and will give us a report.

Asher

Eric Hiss

Thanks Eric!

Send me the files via You send it.com and I'll post it for download.

Meanwhile, Nicolas is using the camera and will give us a report.

Asher

Asher,

I was referring to the files that Thierry has already made available. As far as I know the links still work. I did download them and they were impressive but I did not keep the files on my computer. Look back through his posts and you should find the links.
Eric

Asher Kelman

Here's the image of the details Thierry has provided.

Thierry, as Ray points out, we just embed the url of where the image is between
to show it here.

Asher