PDA

View Full Version : 1DMkIIN Flash sync question

John_Nevill
July 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Is there a parameter that forces a higher speed shutter (1/200) in Av mode, like on the 20D.

Chuck Westfall(Canon USA)
July 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Hi, John:

Sorry, no. The workaround is to set the shutter speed and aperture manually.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall
Director/Media & Customer Relationship
Camera Marketing Group/Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Asher Kelman
July 19th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Hi, John:

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your response. What are the limitations of the manual workaround. How far can one push the speed?

Asher

Chuck Westfall(Canon USA)
July 20th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Hi, Asher:

It depends on the flash unit. Maximum X-sync speed on the EOS-1D Mark II N is 1/250, which is usually compatible with most if not all shoe-mount flashes. Some studio strobes have longer flash durations than others, and if that's what you're using, it's advisable to run a series of test shots to see how low you have to go to match up. A lot of the newer stusio strobes can handle 1/250, but some of the older ones force you to go no higher than 1/125.

Also, if you're using a Canon EX Speedlite, you have the option of setting it for high-speed sync, in which case any shutter speed can be selected. The trade-off is reduced distance range as shutter speeds increase past maximum X-sync speed.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall

Tim Rucci
August 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I frequently use flash in HSS on my MkIIN for birding and I often use a better beamer flash extender. I realize that there is a falloff of light in HSS mode the faster the shutter speed. But I'm curious if there is a chart somewhere that shows just how much. I have always been curious about just how much light fallof there is as shutter speed increases.

Asher Kelman
August 17th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I frequently use flash in HSS on my MkIIN for birding and I often use a better beamer flash extender. I realize that there is a falloff of light in HSS mode the faster the shutter speed. But I'm curious if there is a chart somewhere that shows just how much. I have always been curious about just how much light fallof there is as shutter speed increases.

Tim,

With one shot you can see the histogram.

Asher

Don Cohen
August 17th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Hi Tim,

I do the same, and checked the 550EX manual a few years back, looking for the same answer. Bottom line is that on average you lose about 1/3 of the flash's power with each stop above 1/250 second shutter speed. The exact figures are slightly different, but this was a close enough approximation for me.

Best,

Tim Rucci
August 18th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Hi Tim,

I do the same, and checked the 550EX manual a few years back, looking for the same answer. Bottom line is that on average you lose about 1/3 of the flash's power with each stop above 1/250 second shutter speed. The exact figures are slightly different, but this was a close enough approximation for me.

Best,

Thanks Don,
That helps put it in perspective.

Best regards,
Tim

Randy Brister
August 18th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Hi, John:

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall

It's so nice to see that Chuck has found this site. His contributions are certainly welcome and valuable.

Randy