• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Yellowstone Sunrise

Steve Robinson

I got out at Oh Dark Thirty to catch a sunrise during my trip to Yellowstone. I lightened the foreground a little to show the bison.
Pentax K10D, 16-50mm f/2.8, 16mm, 1/125@f/6.7, ISO 100.
241536016-O.jpg

Then as the sun rose I made another exposure. 16mm, 1/25@f/6.7, ISO 100.
241538299-O.jpg

Marcus Peddle

I think your compositions are quite good but there is not enough interesting light on the land. Maybe you got up a little too early? :) Can you go back and shoot these again some time in the future?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think your compositions are quite good but there is not enough interesting light on the land. Maybe you got up a little too early? :) Can you go back and shoot these again some time in the future?

Hi Steve,

Let me focus right now on the first picture. I like the challenge to show the drama of the sunrise over a snow landscape. It's tough since we usually exepct to see light starting to illuminate dark things. Here, the snow changes that dynamic. The sky is dramatic and the land is cold and lonely.

I agree that the sky can be a wee bit lighter. This has to be done so carefully or else the bright cloud hiding the sun willo be blow out to uniform white. The land is very flat in this light. However, if selected separately from the sky, more dimensionality could be added.

However when I first looked at that picture, I did not think, this is too dark. I was more interested in peering in to see what was going on at this early hour.

It's one thing Marcus to show a photograph here where each person's monitor is set to different levels of brightness and staisfy a reasonable number of folk. It's a greater challenge to make htis into a great print. This type of picture is a lot of work and no easy task to pull off.

I'd agree that the foreground might be made brighter but who knows what your monitor is set to in brightness. I sometimes just increase the brightness of the display or else dim hte room lights.

Not an easy picture to show!

Asher