• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Closeups

Steve Stone

Here is an interesting shot. An Aloe plant bud before flowering.

IMG_2490_web.jpg

Mike Spinak

pro member
Steve, my initial reactions are:

1) It looks to me like it needs to be rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise. Perhaps this is the actual orientation of the scene; nevertheless, I find it a bit disorienting in an unpleasant way.

2) I think this picture would be more effective if you toned down the background's out-of-focus highlights, a little, to make them less of a distraction.

3) I don't really see a point-of-view with this picture. It looks to me very "documentary", without much clarity of the photographer's intent. It is natural for a viewer to wonder what the photographer saw which incited him/her to make a picture, why the photographer took the photo as s/he did, and/or wonder why the photographer is showing it to the viewer. To me, this doesn't seem to be purposely communicating anything coherent about the subject; and so it doesn't engage my interest.

Strictly documenting what something looks like is appropriate for some contexts, such as a plant identification guide, and ill suited for other contexts, such as art gallery display. Please tell us a little more about how and why you took this picture.