• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ricoh GR "Auto ISO"

Mark Adams

I just bought a GR and overall I am very impressed. I am loving the way it handles B+W. My question is about the "Auto ISO", it seems that the auto is limited to between 60 and 160. On the bottom of page 91 the manual says that "In Wide-angle Zoom mode" the ISO is limited to 60-160. But this camera is a fixed 28mm, no zoom mode other than digital zoom (which I have turned off). Does anyone out there have an idea of how I might get the "Auto ISO" to "auto" select higher values? Please be assured that I'm not lazy, just obsessive and curious.

Warm Regards, Mark Adams

Auto ISO on the GR-D

I think it does what the manual says. I experimented with it on Auto this evening, and was able to see ISO values as high as 154 in the EXIF, when I was shooting in really low light (resulting in f/4 at 1/2 second). More generally I have seen that it tries to bring the shutter speed up to 1/30 sec, and will only go as high in ISO as it needs to accomplish that.

Nice camera, isn't it? Did you buy from Tony Rose at Popflash?

scott

Mark Adams

Scott,
Yes, i got it from Tony at popflast (nice guy). I wish the auto iso worked up to 1600 instead of 160. and the lcd is tough to see outside so I just ordered the viewfinder. Great little camera. I'd send a photo but I can't figure out how to do it.
Warm Regards, Mark

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Mark Adams said:
Scott,
I'd send a photo but I can't figure out how to do it.
Warm Regards, Mark
When posting, upload your image on your webserver (i.e. in a folder/repertory of your website) and just click on
insertimage.gif
and paste the URL...

hope it helps

nicolas claris

Mark
if you want to link to a web page (www.tatata/share.htm), click on:
createlink.gif

and paste the URL of the page you want to link to.
If you want to link to an image (tatata.JPG or tatata.png or tatata.gif), click on:
insertimage.gif

and paste the URL of the image you want to link to.

Mark Adams

Nicolas,
Funny you should ask, I just happen to have a few. I just got this little Ricoh 5 days ago and already we have developed a little relationship.
bolsa_sm.jpg

nicolas claris

Mark Adams said:
Nicolas,
Funny you should ask, I just happen to have a few. I just got this little Ricoh 5 days ago and already we have developed a little relationship.
bolsa_sm.jpg
Well apparently we both like boats and water...
This one is really nice, but let me say that I really like your images ("Toward the Light" and following from Venice - Italia?) on your website...

I'll have a look on the Ricoh as I'm not happy at all with my small Canon G6...

Continue posting!

nicolas claris

Nicolas Claris said:
I'll have a look on the Ricoh as I'm not happy at all with my small Canon G6...
Waouh! looks really interesting, just googled "Ricoh GR"...
What software do you use to develop raws?

I'll have to dig that more deeply this week-end (starts now, tomorrow is the 14 Juillet!)

Didn't find any place as B&H to get an idea of price, any link ?

Thanks

Mark Adams

Nicolas,
I shoot fine jpegs with this camera. It is too slow with raw (7-8seconds). I got mine from Tony Rose at www.popflash.com. He is in California and my experience with him was flawless. In the UK the camera is avaliable from www.robertwhite.co.uk. I'm happy to answer any questions or post samples.
Mark

John Carolan

GR Appreciation

I'm a big fan of the GR, got mine just after Christmas, take it with me everywhere. Even though you pretty much have to stick with jpegs because of that slow RAW performance the ergonomics are so good it's very easy to quickly adjust exposure as required ( for me the main reason to use RAW). Image quality for such a small camera is excellent, although I think it was pushing it a little I've been able to print up to 13x19" very acceptably.
Link to my Flickr GR gallery if anyone wants to see some shots of Shetland...
link

John Carolan
www.johncarolan.co.uk

Last edited:
I've had the GR since early this year. I put a "samples" gallery and some b/w wedding shots up on my pbase site, and there's an impressive collection at http://horic.zenfolio.com/f394341614/ that I found recently through dpreview. It's the kind of camera that gets into interesting places.

drawbacks:
The RAW shooting speed. It produces DNG files, and you can get nice results with them, but no more than four shots per minute. And it benefits from a trip to the authorized service center to make up for indifferent quality control in manufacturing (sorta like the RD-1, I gather).

attractions:
ergonomics, seeing the world at 28mm again, usable 1600 ISO (if you like film grain), almost infinite depth of field

scott

Carl Schofield

I also just purchased a GRD from Tony at PopFlash. Both Tony and the GRD are real jewels - excellent service from Tony and beautiful images from the GRD. I'm used to shooting with 4x5 and a Canon 5D so the Ricoh GRD is like a breath of fresh air in terms of ergonomics and ease of use. Great little travel camera. I'll be posting images to my pbase site as I get to know this camera better.
http://www.pbase.com/scho/grd