• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon lenses for DX

OK. I have my eye and checkbook set on getting the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 for my D200. That is if I can ever find one in stock. I have read all the reviews I could find and seen some wonderful samples of its capability. A friend is telling me now that I would be silly to buy this lens for my
D200 because of the DX sensor size and that I should get a 17-55 instead. This is probably a very novice question but why would he be saying that? I think I understand it correctly in that the 24-70mm would be equivalent to a 36-105mm on an FX sensor and maybe he is just thinking if I am looking for wider angles then the 24-70 may not give me what he thinks I am looking for. I just want this lens, mainly because of the great optical qualities it is supposed to contain and because, who knows, I may go full frame someday anyway. I just don't think I want to handcuff myself by buying DX lenses but maybe someone here could shed more light on whether this 24-70 would not be a good lens for my D200 or not. Thanks.

I think I understand it correctly in that the 24-70mm would be equivalent to a 36-105mm on an FX sensor and maybe he is just thinking if I am looking for wider angles then the 24-70 may not give me what he thinks I am looking for. I just want this lens, mainly because of the great optical qualities it is supposed to contain and because, who knows, I may go full frame someday anyway.

You've got it. Your friend thinks it might not cover a wide enough field of view, for a 'cropped' sensor. High optical quality will benefit both cropped and full-frame, and you are set for FF when the time comes. Lenses are investments for the long term.

Bart

I agree whole heartedly and I made one of those investments this morning. I did not get the
24-70mm however. I received an email saying the 70-200mm f\2.8 AF-S VR was in stock but the 24-70mm was still backordered. I am going to get both so I went ahead and snagged the 70-200 this morning. It will arrive in 3 days and I really am looking forward to that. Now I'm just waiting on the email about the other one.

Update...I now have the 24-70mm f/2.8 coming also. I am juiced.

Last edited: