• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Looking to start with Inkjet - advice welcomed

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Hi and apologies for cross posting this on LL and photo.net that you may also see!

I'm on the point of switching to printed A4 sheets of photographic paper for use as proofing sheets which will be then bound into a nice hardback book (actually very cheap at your local universities thesis binding service and they offer nice extras such as slipcase etc) and presented to my wedding clients as their proofing book.

I've tried offset services such as Illuma Memory books but the paper, the printing quality and the colour have been found wanting by my clients and pushing a service that the client doesn't like is the business equivelent of comitting suicide! I have until now been giving chemical prints in a slip in album but all too often I never hear from the couple again as they are divided up among the family or having real and loose photographic prints does not inspire thinking of future orders.

I thought of having the pages printed at my local lab but I have a price requirement which they are having trouble matching plus the size, 12X8" is not standard for the bookbinders and hence there is an extra charge.

I'll tell you what I'm looking for and you tell me if you can help me at all.

I need an A4 printer, not bigger, I don't have the space or need for any larger sizes, it is only with bulk printing (I will be printing a minimum of 100 sheets at a time) that it could be considered economical.

I need colour printing on ARCHIVAL matte paper that is as vibrant, colour true (I am familiar with calibration) preferably with the original printer software and not an expensive RIP) as the Fuji Crystal Archive or Kodak Endura Matte papers that I'm used to. I realise that inkjet won't look like a chemical print but the prints/paper must look photographic and not 'consumer inkjet', I need something which is on the same level of quality as my chemical prints otherwise the clients will moan that they can do as well on their inkjets at home!

I need an ink/paper combination that does not show metamarism, including with prints which have both B&W and colour elements.

I literally need to be able to leave the paper in the tray, set the 100 A4 sheets to print (don't know how to do that, all I have in a B&W laser printer and have never printed from PS) and come back the next morning and find them done and ready. I don't want to have to worry about a print cartridge going faint or blocking while the printer continues to print 99 sheets of paper wasting me huge amounts of money. If there is the slightest problem I want the printed to stop and flash me a warning, not carry on or crash my system (can you tell I use windows? )

Is double sided printing possible on any of these papers that you will suggest to me? That would save me paper..

I don't know what print prices and paper costs are for inkjet, I need to keep the price of printing each A4 sheet, including cleaning the heads the ink and the paper, etc, to under or equivelent to 50p per page. Any more than that and I can send it to the lab for the same price. I know most of you are in the US but would you know if this was possible/probable?

I was looking at the Epson R800 which was well priced but I know nothing else.

I would appreciate all your advice based on my very specific needs.

Thanks.

Alain Briot

pro member
Ben Rubinstein said:
I see that Alain has written a review of the R800 printer on LL, can you add anything some 2 years on?

It's still a great printer if you are looking for the lowest cost vs. quality ratio. Otherwise, at the next price point, the 2400 has the latest technology.

Edmund Ronald

Alain Briot said:
It's still a great printer if you are looking for the lowest cost vs. quality ratio. Otherwise, at the next price point, the 2400 has the latest technology.

Forget doing fast production unsupervised on any prosumer inkjet - cartridges keep running out one by one.
As for the 2400 (I own one), I think for glossy the R800/1800 is better. But then what do I know ?
My own recommendation for anyone doing fast production is either a lab (Costco) or a Kodak dyesub. Labs cannot be beat for speed and cost.

Edmund

Gary Ayala

At a local print sharing, photo get together, I looked at Costco prints (8 x 10 and larger) and compared them to prints of similar sizes created from Epson 2200, 2400 and 4800. The Espons were better. Not amazingly better, but better in number of tones and shadow/highlight details. Unfortunately, couldn't compare apples to apples because the photogs either printed at home or sent them out.

But the Costco prints were very nice.

Ray West

Hi Beni,

Epson r800/r1800 + fotospeed cif + qimage. This willl be the best highest quality, high use at the price, but it ain't fast. Post me some paper, and email some images (or cd) - I'll do some timings for you. You can get roll paper for r1800, not sure for r800. Gloss not as good as photo process, but semi-gloss is fine.

Best wishes,

Ray

Alain Briot

pro member
The 4800 fits on a mid-size file cabinet. The 9800 requires its own room. The garage is for the exotic cars you will buy from the prints you made on those ;-)