• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Yellowstone Coyote

Steve Robinson

Now that I know the difference, I'll call 'em as I see 'em. Taken last week in Yellowstone NP. First the full image and then a crop.

246269916-O.jpg

246269978-O.jpg

Pentax K10D, DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, 135mm, 1/125 @ f/5.6, ISO 100, PP in Lightroom.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I guess more than that one guy has been feasting. Great beauty!

Asher

Perhaps another 1.25 inches off the right side puts the head in a more powerful position.

Mike Spinak

pro member
Steve,

Sorry to be so contrarian, but I'm about 2/3 sure this one is a wolf. Do you have any other shots of it?

Nice picture.

Again, it could use a bit of fine adjusting, to bring out its best.

Roy Stuart

That definately is a wolf, as a coyote has a smaller pointed nose and is usually smaller in stature, and skinny. Nice shot!

I was waiting for others to confirm my suspicions that this was, in fact, a wolf!

Shooting the wolf alone is special, but adding the carcass, and the bloodied muzzle, really puts it over the top.

I like the crop Asher suggested, and agree that some tweaking of tonality would maximize the visual impact.

Great capture!

Steve Robinson

Thanks for the replies. Apparently, Yellowstone coyotes are fatter than some others. The ranger I talked to said it was a coyote, but I dunno. I'll try and work on the PP some more.

Mike Spinak

pro member
Regardless whether Yellowstone coyotes are fatter than others... I am fairly confident that this is a wolf, and the ranger you spoke to was in error.