• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Birds in Flight - On A Fixed 1D MKIII

John Harper

Hi There

I was at the Hawk Conservancy shooting on a sub mirror fixed EOS 1D MKIII and just wanted to post some shots showing how it performs. In my opinion coming from using a MKIIN for just over a year, i would have to say that i found the focus to be as good as the MKIIN if not slightly better in bright sunlight, and quite a bit quicker and more accurate in low light. The high ISO performance is also very impressive.

As always Comments & Critiques welcome

John

Shot 1 Saker Falcon

EF 500mm F4L
ISO 2000
1/1600 @ F4

saker-top.jpg

Shot 2 Lanner Falcon

EF500mm F4L
ISO 1250
1/1250@ F8

lanner-blue.jpg

Shot 3 Great Grey Heron

EF500mm F4L
ISO 800
1/4000 @ F4

grey-heron.jpg

Shot 4 Great Grey Owl

EF500mm F4L
ISO 3200
1/1000@ F4

greyfly.jpg

A very nice series, John. What is your "keeper" ratio in this type of shooting with the MkIII?

I had really hoped to upgrade from the MkII to MkIII when it was announced, but the autofocus issue really dampened my enthusiasm. As I've monitored people's experience since the fix was implemented, it seems that not everybody is satisfied that the problem has gone away, although many are. Hard for me to sink that much money when questions and doubts still persist.

Anyway, that's a separate topic. Once again, a very nice series.

Also - what you call a "Great Grey Heron" looks like what we call a Great Blue Heron on this side of the pond. Is this a name, or a species difference?

John Harper

A very nice series, John. What is your "keeper" ratio in this type of shooting with the MkIII?

I had really hoped to upgrade from the MkII to MkIII when it was announced, but the autofocus issue really dampened my enthusiasm. As I've monitored people's experience since the fix was implemented, it seems that not everybody is satisfied that the problem has gone away, although many are. Hard for me to sink that much money when questions and doubts still persist.

Anyway, that's a separate topic. Once again, a very nice series.

Also - what you call a "Great Grey Heron" looks like what we call a Great Blue Heron on this side of the pond. Is this a name, or a species difference?

Hi Don

Having used the MKIIN and the 500mm for bird in flight shots my keeper rate is around 1 out of 20. There may be more in focus shots than that but you might have clipped a wing (or worse) or the background is distracting etc.

With the MKIII on my somewhat limited experience of it i was getting about 1 out of 10 so it was better as far as i was concerned.

There are obviously a lot of variables in getting sharp shots in flight but all things being equal i certainly feel i get more with the MKIII than the IIN. The main difference i have found is the initial speed of acquiring focus especially in less than ideal light levels, the MKIII is noticeably quicker.

What is of the biggest benefit to me is the superior high ISO performance its at least a full stop better than the MKIIN

On the Heron front I believe the Great Grey is a close cousin of the blue but is a separate species. (not being an expert i will stand to be corrected )

John

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi There

I was at the Hawk Conservancy shooting on a sub mirror fixed EOS 1D MKIII and just wanted to post some shots showing how it performs. In my opinion coming from using a MKIIN for just over a year, i would have to say that i found the focus to be as good as the MKIIN if not slightly better in bright sunlight, and quite a bit quicker and more accurate in low light. The high ISO performance is also very impressive.

As always Comments & Critiques welcome

John

Shot 1 Saker Falcon

EF 500mm F4L
ISO 2000
1/1600 @ F4

saker-top.jpg

Shot 2 Lanner Falcon

EF500mm F4L
ISO 1250
1/1250@ F8

Superb work, as usual, John. They must really know you well by now, both the birds and the staff!

I wonder whether you have considered feathering the edges of the bird when you sharpen so that it is embedded in the setting rather than seemingly clear of the setting if I convey my question properly.

Asher

BTW, at first I was flummoxed as to how your mirror was "fixed" as I was thinking of "fixed" as in "fixed-wing" aircraft. Of course, "fix" equals repair, but I hardly ever use that word now. In our culture, fix has come to be a known such as a "fix" meaning a "does of drugs". Interesting how there is a drift of meanings.

John Harper

Superb work, as usual, John. They must really know you well by now, both the birds and the staff!

I wonder whether you have considered feathering the edges of the bird when you sharpen so that it is embedded in the setting rather than seemingly clear of the setting if I convey my question properly.

Asher

BTW, at first I was flummoxed as to how your mirror was "fixed" as I was thinking of "fixed" as in "fixed-wing" aircraft. Of course, "fix" equals repair, but I hardly ever use that word now. In our culture, fix has come to be a known such as a "fix" meaning a "does of drugs". Interesting how there is a drift of meanings.

Hi Asher

Yes I am somewhat of a regular up there, but each time its a different day and maybe that day will yield "The Shot" I find it such a challenge to try to follow fast flying Falcons etc with the 500mm handheld that i need all the practice i can get :)

Its also a great way to relax after a week at work, me against the birds, and often the weather.

Thanks for the comments and no i hadn't thought about the feathering option. To be honest my whole photoshop skills are pretty limited so i need to get grips with the whole post processing side of Digital.

John

Barry Johnston

Birds in flight...

Very impressive John, I know how difficult it is to capture these birds in flight. You have done well here.

Regards,
Barry

Good news!

Hi John,

First let me say that your shots look great especially that first one! My name is David Hemmings and I came across this forum while surfing yesterday. I am an avid bird in flight photographer and also the owner of a poor performing MK 111. I have just taken the camera in for it's sub mirror frame fix and it is good to hear that your's is performing well. My question is, is it performing better than before the sub mirror fix? I have not had too many issues tracking and having the focus lock, but when I enlarge some of my files to look at them, so many seemed to be somewhat jagged, for lack of a better word, it was almost as though someone had shaken the camera as the image was being captured. I have taken some shots that I have been happy with but lots that I feel something was just not right. Hopeflly, when I get it back, things will be beter.

Dave

Last edited:

John Harper

Hi John,

First let me say that your shots look great especially that first one! My name is David Hemmings and I came across this forum while surfing yesterday. I am an avid bird in flight photographer and also the owner of a poor performing MK 111. I have just taken the camera in for it's sub mirror frame fix and it is good to hear that your's is performing well. My question is, is it performing better than before the sub mirror fix? I have not had too many issues tracking and having the focus lock, but when I enlarge some of my files to look at them, so many seemed to be somewhat jagged, for lack of a better word, it was almost as though someone had shaken the camera as the image was being captured. I have taken some shots that I have been happy with but lots that I feel something was just not right. Hopeflly, when I get it back, things will be beter.

Dave

Hi Dave

I had waited to get a MKIII till there was some news on the focus issues and as to whether Canon were going to try and do something about it, so according to the Canon website and the dealer i got it from its a serial number with a correct sub mirror assembly, also Firmware 1.1.3 is part of the fix so even if your camera hasn't been repaired update to 1.1.3.

I had previous to this had the chance to use a pre fix MKIII and was not very impressed at all.

I have been using a MKIIN for just over a year, and the pre fix MKIII was very twitchy compared to the IIN.

The main reason for the upgrade was the superior high ISO performance and the focus in low light levels on the fixed MKIII is quicker than my IIN.

On the jagged file front,

Are the lenses you are using "IS" Image stabilised?
What sort of shutter speed are you using

I find if i get below 1/1600 its often not fast enough to freeze the action so maybe camera shake is a possible cause.

Perhaps you can post an example so we can see the problems you are having, and I or others may be able to offer some advice as to the problem

John