• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rainbow Lorikeets, and a Mynah

Barry Johnston

I took these on Monday evening. We have a lot of birds visiting us on our balcony, including Magpies, Lorikeets, Rosella's, Gallah's to name just a few. We feed them so they hang around, so I managed to get these shots.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

1D MkII N + Ef300 f/2.8

Cheers,
Barry

Holy smokes! Birds like this come to visit you??? That's pretty amazing.

Nice shots - wonderful color on these little birds. I assume you were shooting wide open or nearly so, accounting for the nicely blurred backgrounds.

With birds like this coming to you, I would consider setting up your own natural looking perches - getting some tree branches or other natural objects, and putting them in a position where the birds will land before going to where the food is, and in a position that is advantageous in terms of the background coloration, direction of the light, etc.

These shots are good, but with the right light and setting, they can be unbelievable.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Barry

Gosh you are so lucky getting birds like this in your garden, all beautiful shots, but I really like the first one, stunning!

Barry Johnston

Parrots...

Hi Dan and Janet,

In fact I was not shooting wide open. I find that the depth of field at short distances is just far too narrow. The DoF is very apparent in the first image and that was at f/4, so shooting wide open probably would have yielded an out of focus image. The blurry background (bokeh) probably also accounts for the quality of the Canon lens glass. At very short distances, I try to use a smaller aperture for greater DoF, but at longer distances I tend to shoot wider.

These parrots can be very destructive when they want to be, so not sure how long any type of perches would last. In fact they can also be a bit nasty at times to other birds by chasing them away, they become territorial over their food rights...

Pic 1.
1/500 @ f/4 ISO400
Pic 2.
1/800 @ f/4 ISO400
Pic 3.
1/640 @ f/5.6 ISO400

Many Thanks,
Barry