• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Duck Pond

Mike Henderson

I went to the duck pond to try out my Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 w/2xTC. Here are a few pics.
Mike

Bird5-640.jpg

Duck4-640.jpg

Duck3-640.jpg

Duck5-640.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Mike,

I appreciate the reach of that Sigma lens. These photographs are able to take some sharpening and with a small contrast curve the pictures really pop.

Keep up the good work. Maybe consider allowing more space around the bird will create a milieu for the composition. So, for example, one can get the entire reflection of the bird in the water. The idea of cropping close is something which I consider is one of the easiest way of destroying a shot. I personally try to grab more of the surrounding world. My angle and position excludes what for sure I don't want, but otherwise I like generous framing so that we can recognize extra wonderful features at the time of editing.

Asher

I agree with Asher's comments. Even though I know I'll be losing some pixels, I also frame my shot less tightly than I would otherwise, to give me more flexibility in cropping when post-processing. One general rule of thumb is to leave more room in front of the bird in the direction it is swimming or flying. This creates a more dynamic feel than one where it is perfectly centered in the frame. Sometimes this rule can be broken to good effect, like all other rules, but it's something to keep in mind when you're shooting.

Thanks for the shots!