• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Closeup with 300f4 IS

Harvey Moore

I have been trying my 300f4 IS + 5D for closeup photography. The three images below are a result. I handheld at 400 ISO w/IS on. f8, shutter in range of 1/800-1/1200 on a sunny afternoon.

I am trying to use this combo for insects, and I need some tips, ie A1 or A1 servo focus technique for faster moving subjects like butterfly, dragonfly, and similar subjects. Any advice will be appreciated by me.

I have a Canon 500D closeup attachment, but I think extension tube(s) may perform better.

My next step will be a Sigma 150 2.8 macro, as it will serve both macro need and fill a gap in my fl range, maybe that will be my primary closeup/macro lens, but I do like the isolation of subject with the 300 in closeup range.

Thanks,

harvey

187599970_6bdae8a4fd_o.jpg

187641574_9a9602fdd1_o.jpg

187620403_500d7cdf41_o.jpg

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Harvey,

Harvey Moore said:
I have a Canon 500D closeup attachment, but I think extension tube(s) may perform better.

With that lens and a 500D, the expected magnification at closest focus is 0.70 (according to one table I have - I do not have the manual for the lens, or equivalent).

To get that with extension tubes, you would need an extension of 171 mm (if the focal length of that lens at closest focus were in fact 300 mm). (The lens' native magnfication at closest focus is specified as 0.13.)

You would likely have a greater working distance with the extension tube setup.

With 68 mm of extension tube (the three pieces of my Kenko set stacked, for example) the maximum magnfication would be about 0.36 (again assuming a focal length of 300 mm).

Harvey Moore

Thanks for the info Doug.

Do you have a link to the tables that you referenced?
I found a couple, but they are old and lack information about some current lens.

harvey

Harvey Moore

Good evening Doug

Yup, thats the main one I have.

It lists the 300 f4 (no IS) which I believe has a longer close focus distance than IS version. I'll keep looking. Maybe check the Canon Museum site.

Mike Spinak

pro member
I often use the 300 f/4 IS lens with a 1.4 teleconverter and extension tubes for close-up photography of insects. While it doesn't go all the way to life size, this combination can be an excellent tool for photographing butterflies, dragonflies, and larger insects, as well as medium sized flowers, and a lot of intertidal life.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Don Lashier

I find the 300/f4IS an excellent lens for flower closeups. Haven't tried it with extention tubes - running home right now to try ;)
E74D4253-softsharp.jpg

- DL

Last edited:

Harvey Moore

hmmm..food for thought Mike, you just gave me a reason to pick up a 1.4 TC, thanks for the tip.

Don, I like the pastel look of your flower shot.

harvey