• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Conversation

Steve Febbraro

My pre-teen daughter was on the phone, and I convinced her to continue her coversation in the same room where my strobes were located. Your C&C is welcomed.

phone1a.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Steve,

You have for yourself a lovely subject! I like the light as a start as the source is large and reasonably close. There's some exploration you might of course have considered already. You might, for example, try elevating the light a little more. I'd love to see her hair and try a white card to reflect light on her left side and behind the hair to highlight it.

You just need to bribe her with more minutes!

Asher

BTW, this picture does benefit from a simple S curve in photoshop. Try it in a layer and then use 50% of whatever you though was perfect!

Steve Febbraro

Hi Steve,

You have for yourself a lovely subject! I like the light as a start as the source is large and reasonably close. There's some exploration you might of course have considered already. You might, for example, try elevating the light a little more. I'd love to see her hair and try a white card to reflect light on her left side and behind the hair to highlight it.

You just need to bribe her with more minutes!

Asher

BTW, this picture does benefit from a simple S curve in photoshop. Try it in a layer and then use 50% of whatever you though was perfect!

Thank you, Asher.

I used a medium Octabox that was placed about 18" from her, and I can see what you mean about raising the light a bit.

The original picture was framed to include her head, and I did use a hairlight as well, but her eyes were dead center in the photo, and I was trying to somewhat adhere to the rule of thirds (which I break on a regular basis), hence the tighter crop.

I will give the S curve a try.

Asher Kelman

Thought it was set up like that! Don't hesitate to break the rules when the subject melts your heart, after all that's what we want! Besides, the strong oblique white form of the phone really changes the dynamic of the centrally placed eyes.

What f stop is that and what format?

Asher

Steve Febbraro

Thought it was set up like that! Don't hesitate to break the rules when the subject melts your heart, after all that's what we want! Besides, the strong oblique white form of the phone really changes the dynamic of the centrally placed eyes.

What f stop is that and what format?

Asher

Here's the pertinent info:

* Lens - Canon 85/f1.8
* Camera Model = Canon EOS-1D Mark III
* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/125 second = 0.008 second
* Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 8/1 = F8
* Exposure Program = manual control (1)
* ISO Speed Ratings = 100

Asher Kelman

Steve,

I see now you will have to make even more.

I really like the curve of her hand. Did you take more?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Steve,

It's interesting about hands and how they are positioned. Some are naturally graceful, others not. In classic full length portraiture, the high society upper curst nobles and gentry where shown with such gracious form.

Some people are naturals. See if this is part of how she is or a chance feature of the way she holds the phone. In any case it's gentle and appealing and always a good feature representing a character trait.

Asher