• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

legibility

Ray West

I've got used to the layout, colours, etc. of opf. I've recently had my eyes tested, and bought new glasses, (not is or multi-element, but for the price, they should be). My monitor (NEC) is of reasonable quality and colour profiled, but I still find it difficult reading the small/thin white text on buff background showing the date & time at the top of each post. Any chance of changing it a tad?

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Ray
I've not doubt about your Nec monitor, but your optician... ;-)?
Honestly, I'm not a teen anymore for long, I do need to wear glasses but even without I can read it, even on my Powerbook...
As this info showing the date & time is not crucial, I wouldn't like to upsize it, unless we have a revolution here...!

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

I wouldn't like to upsize it, unless we have a revolution here...!
I'm pretty revolting... but to know me is to love me.
icon7.gif

When you view a thread, the text under consideration is a pixel wide, white on buff is not the best contrast around. However, if you click reply, the page refreshes and the date text is thicker - bold? text.

While I am picking the nits, when you go to reply, you lose the previous posters info - such as number of posts/join date, country I can't confirm exactly, since I have to finish the reply, open another window or otherwise get irritated.

Need more coffee, always more coffee.. make the buff background coffee colour, go on, humour me...

Best wishes,

Ray

ps and in edit mode I lose the hover help for the quote icons, etc.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ray,

When you have a moment, please recheck your findings and let Nicolas know.

I'm not yet sure of what the issues are but perhaps Nicolas already understands it.

asher

Ray West

Hi Asher,

The issues are that white text on a pale background is not the most legible. The date/time at the head of each reply is very small, very thin text. (However, when I reply to a post, that date/time text gets thicker, (but you lose the other folks' details. - country, etc on rhs of banner). I would have thought it may be possible to adjust the text or background so that it becomes more easily read. (the hover help is working, but its a bit tardy - always was, iirc.)

Now, it may be a pc/firefox/screen resolution thing, but it is a trifle annoying. I only mentioned it because I think on another thread you mentioned you were going to possibly tweak a few things in the next week or so.

Best wishes,

Ray

Jay Hoss

Another quick fix for small text in your Windows browser is to press ctrl + and that should enlarge the text and crtl - to shrink it. Of course, it does not help the color issue you describe.

Asher Kelman

Ray,

I don't see the thin white text on a pale background you refer to on Safari on a Mac Powerbook. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong place, or it is a Firefox issue?

Asher

nicolas claris

J_Hoss said:
Another quick fix for small text in your Windows browser is to press ctrl + and that should enlarge the text and crtl - to shrink it. Of course, it does not help the color issue you describe.
Hi all
Not a revolution but a beginning of a riot?
The size of text has been increased Vs Vbulletin standard before opening the forums...
The trick above given by J_Hoss is the wisest thing and I suggest to those who have a legible problem to follow it (with all due respect!), the shortcut is for a Mac but I'm pretty sure that Windoze can even handle that!

I don't think it is a brower/OS issue, nor a color issue. You like or dislike the color but as far as it is not a contrast issue (appears to be legible when text is bold) there's nothing to be changed.
Well,
I'll have a look on the Vbulletin CSS, and if I can, I'll put it in bold, promised, but please no riot!;-) ;-)

nicolas claris

OK people
no more riot, it is bold, no more need of magnifying glass now.
As I had to alter a "class" some other texts have been "bolded", I'm not sure anyone would notice...
I've done a quick check, but if anybody sees an anormal bold somewhere, please advise me here.
Hope you'll be satisfied

Ray West

Thanks Nicolas, now OK. I noticed it as soon as I logged on
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

Thanks J_Hoss, I didn't know that about 'ctrl +', if only it worked for the world in general, we could all save a fortune...
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

nicolas claris

Ray West said:
Thanks Nicolas, now OK. I noticed it as soon as I logged on
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

Thanks J_Hoss, I didn't know that about 'ctrl +', if only it worked for the world in general, we could all save a fortune...
icon7.gif
icon7.gif
Or even *make* a fortune!

glad you are

nicolas claris

40° Celsius under shadow...
Aircon is working hard at the office, but none at home!
Let's do a 'ctrl -' on temp! and I'll stop dreaming about 'ctrl +' with my bank account!

Brian Ripley

Nicolas Claris said:
OK people
no more riot, it is bold, no more need of magnifying glass now.
As I had to alter a "class" some other texts have been "bolded", I'm not sure anyone would notice...
I've done a quick check, but if anybody sees an anormal bold somewhere, please advise me here.
Hope you'll be satisfied

Much better, thank you!

Asher Kelman

Will Thompson said:
Asher, look at the "Today, 07:55 PM" on your last post.
Will,

That's exactly what I couldn't see the problem with. However, I have excellent sight with glasses!

Asher

nicolas claris

*I have excellent sight with glasses!*
Hi Asher
We certainly have the same glass quality, but yesterday, I felt I had to do something good for my fellow man!
;-) is that good English?