• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lacewing egg

In walking in a garden, I happened upon a most miniature marvel - the egg of what I believe to be a Green Lacewing (Chrysopidae); safely secured atop a strand of pure silk. This keeps the egg out of harm's way, as most egg-eating crawling insects are unable to reach it.

The Lacewing is one of the very few adult insects able to produce silk (for this very purpose), and is a wonderful allie to humans, as they feed on lice and pests.

The adults are fragile, graceful flyers, with a top speed of a mere 2km/h. Their Afrikaans name "Goudogie" (little golden eye) is named after their shiny, golden eyes.

Lacewing Egg

Technical
1D MkII N with EF 100mm Macro, and MR-14EX ring flash;
ISO 800, 1/166s, f/11;
Approximately 1:1 magnification

Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacewing