• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bird ringing

janet Smith

pro member
I was at an RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) reserve the other day, when I came across a couple of their staff in the woods netting and ringing birds, they were hoping to tag Willow Tits, anyway they asked me if I'd take a few shots for them.....

IMG_0024ss001.jpg

Dunnock

IMG_0019ss.jpg

IMG_0015Ass1001.jpg

IMG_0007ss.jpg

Tree Sparrow (I think)

I had literally a second or two to grab these before they released them, I had no idea I would end up doing this when I went for a walk, I know these are not too good but I really enjoyed the occassion, and they have asked me to go along next time they're going to be doing anything like this and take some more for them, of course I said yes!

Marcus Peddle

I like these, especially the second one where the contours of the background object seem to frame the bird's body.
You might try getting some shots of the birds when they leave the staff's hand. That will take some practice, I am sure . . . .

janet Smith

pro member
You might try getting some shots of the birds when they leave the staff's hand. That will take some practice, I am sure . . . .

Hi Marcus

Hmmm it definately will take practice, hopefully I'll get another chance soon, they are working on improving the habitat to encourage more willow tits into the area, they object of the session was to try and catch and tag willow tits to ascertain their numbers, they know there are a few. Unfortunately they didn't get catch any while I was there, just the dunnock and the tree sparrow. They put up a 'mist net' between 2 trees and we had to wait out of sight, while the ringer (specially trained) stayed nearby, the birds were only in the net a matter of seconds, then checked very quickly and released. To my amazement they were not distressed at all and seemed to relax in his hand. It was a shame that I couldn't stay longer, I'd only gone for a walk and was expecting a visitor at home so had to leave!

However there is also extensive marshland and a lake with waterfowl, they have a tagging programme for the young ones in the spring and they've asked me to go with them, I'm looking forward to it enormously.........