• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Crop Factor & Magnification Factor

Rocky Cookus

From the Wikipedia article "Crop Factor,"

"The end result is that while the lens produces the same magnification it always did, the image produced on small-sensor DSLRs will be enlarged more to produce output (print or screen) that matches the output of a longer focal length lens on a full-frame camera. That is, the magnification as usually defined, from subject to focal plane, is unchanged, but the system magnification from subject to print is increased."

It's common to hear people say that the crop factor only refers to the narrower field of view (FOV) of a correspondingly longer focal length lens; however, the questions I have are: 1) how if at all does, aside from a narrower FOV, the crop-factored image differ from the one you would see if the camera were full frame, and, 2) perhaps this definition of magnification is too "narrow" for the subject of crop factor and might instead be a simply the ratio of the image on the focal plane to the size of the object?

Nill Toulme

As I recall, the perspective differs, but I might have that wrong. This is a subject that always manages to buffalo me one way or the other.

One very important way that it's clearly different however is depth of field. A so-called 28mm-equivalent field of view on a cropped frame sensor at the same f/stop will, for example, have more DOF than the more or less same "actual" 28mm FOV on a 35mm-sized "full frame" sensor. Taken to something of an extreme, this is why it's very difficult to get very narrow DOF "bokeh" shots (i.e., with the background blurred out) on tiny-sensor digicams.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Doug Kerr

Hi, Rocky,

From the Wikipedia article "Crop Factor,"

"The end result is that while the lens produces the same magnification it always did, the image produced on small-sensor DSLRs will be enlarged more to produce output (print or screen) that matches the output of a longer focal length lens on a full-frame camera. That is, the magnification as usually defined, from subject to focal plane, is unchanged, but the system magnification from subject to print is increased."

The latter part [I made it blue] is true if the entire taken frame is, in each case, enlarged to the same print size (a greater enlargement ratio for the smaller-sensor camera).

It's common to hear people say that the crop factor only refers to the narrower field of view (FOV) of a correspondingly longer focal length lens; however, the questions I have are: 1) how if at all does, aside from a narrower FOV, the crop-factored image differ from the one you would see if the camera were full frame,. . .

With regard to depth of field (one aspect that may be affected), if we adopt a consistent circle of confusion diameter limit (COCDL), as expressed in terms of a fraction of some dimension of the frame size (a common basis for comparison), then, for the same focal length lens (which is what you seem to be asking about), a given aperture (as an f/number), and the same focus distance, the depth of field will be less on the smaller format camera (solely because of the more stringent absolute criterion for acceptable blurring we adopted by choosing a COCDL on the basis I mentioned above, as is of course sensible for a smaller image).

(This is not the usual depth-of-field comparison made between smaller- and larger format cameras, in which we also assume a focal length on each camera that produces the same field of view - but still the other criteria as mentioned above; in that comparison, the smaller-format camera has a greater depth of field than the larger-format camera.)

A question is sometimes asked about perspective, but perspective depends only on the location of the camera (and, to be complete, the direction in which it is aimed!), so if we assumed that to be unchanged (between the larger- and smaller-format cameras), then there is no change in perspective.

. . . and, 2) perhaps this definition of magnification is too "narrow" for the subject of crop factor and might instead be a simply the ratio of the image on the focal plane to the size of the object?

That is the normal definition of magnification ("image magnification", to avoid confusion with several wholly different meanings), and in fact seems to be the one you quoted above from the Wikipedia article: "That is, the magnification as usually defined, from subject to focal plane [emphasis added], is unchanged".

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rocky,

Lenses do not change just because the sensor is smaller. The focused image circle and perspective will not change unless of course one changes position. Now why would one do that? For a 28 mm wide-angle lens, one would expect to get the whole castle, for example, in one shot from experience say with a regular 35mm Canon Eos 3 film camera. Now if that same lens were on a 5D or 1Ds series, and also full frame, the whole castle would still fall on the CMOS silicon sensor. So apart from a different "look" the depth of field and perspective would be identical.

When, however one grabs a digital Rebel, where the crop factor is 1.6, one has to retreat until on again gets the whole image of the castle to fit on the smaller screen. Since one is further away, the perspective is that of the new distance from the castle (as perspective is only dependant on viewing position, not focal length.

Depth of field is influenced by focal length, distance from the subject and the crop factor of the imaging sensor. But first there's a factor to deal with. What does one consider to be "in focus"? Obviously there is a plane of very sharp focus where the most detail can be recognized. However, to the front and back of this details are not resolved. At some point, we say, that's so poor that we say it's out of focus. The concept is then that a point source is clearly resolved at the plain of focus but that becomes increasingly blurred as one goes away from this plane backwards or forwards. The point at which we cannot recognize the detail, a point for example, because that little circle is too blurred we call the circle of confusion.

Obviously different people's eyes have not the same in ability to discriminate fine detail. So we state that an average person from a distance of 10” could recognize a detail of 0.01 inches on an 8x10 sheet of paper. (If you have 20/20 vision, you will do better than that as you are better than average). If all we change is film or senor size, then a larger film/digital chip size means a relatively larger depth of field in which focus is going to be acceptable looking at the print from 10". Increasing the area of film/digital chip capturing light, more detail can be resolved. That is obvious, right? So, in fact, it's really intuitive that DOF might in fact behave in the way it does.

In general, a way of increasing depth of field is to simple decrease the size of the window, or aperture by which light enters the camera. Lens with wide open large apertues, say f 1.2, have shallow depth of field but can give beautiful portrait images. The DOF is narrow so other distracting objects nearby are blurred magically and we are drawn to the eyes and face, as should be. The same aperture for a picture of a car would hardly work. As we want to get a deepr scene we are pushed to coose progressively small apertures. This sounds good. Geometrically it works. However not without limits. There are a complicating factors. The first is diffraction. That is that as the lens aperture becomes smaller, the edges of the metal blades interfere with the waves of light. This causes a ripple effect and blurring. As the hole becomes smaller, this effect dominates and so degrades the sharpness one would expect, even though from all other aspects, a smaller aperture should lead to a larger depth of field.

Now lets add on another consideration that will alter the sharpeness according to aperture size. With pixel based photon capture in sort of little wells or "sensels" we now look at light as particles. It turns out that as sensel wells get smaller, the additional degradation occurs as the aperture induced blurring has to be resolved with tiny sensor, but that one point may now be spread over 2-3 adjacent sensels, so how do we now know it's a point and not a smudge?

To deal with these factors you either learn some rough rules of the road or else use a calculator.

Here's one for example for DOF calculation but this is already simplified.

A simple approach is to know that if one goes tinier in aperture than f8 then the effects of the aperture and or sensel pitch come into play and soften the image somewhat. The easiest thing to so is to try. If you open up an image in you image editing program, you'll find access to the speed, ISO setting and aperture for each shot. The distance to the subject is all one has to record. Then sitting at the computer, one can look at the images from using different apertures and print some out. That will tell you about your camera and your lens and your own values of what's satisfactory and sharp enough, better than anything.

And lest we get lost in all this "pixel peeping", remember that sharp may not necessarily be a good thing!

Asher

Last edited:

Rocky Cookus

Thanks for the reply, guys. After reading your explanation, Doug, I reread the Wiki and it made sense. The key seems to be the extra magnification in the case of the small sensor, and if it were the same, then the only difference would be the overall output size--but the objects within that smaller frame would be the same size as those from the larger sensor. I believe that is correct. I don't think this is difficult if properly explained.

There can be a practical size to this pixel peeping in the case of comparing the resolution of two Canon lenses: the 200mm f/2.8L prime vs the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. According to one test I read, the prime has better resolution at 200mm than the zoom, is a good deal less of an eye-catcher, and is about 1/3 the cost. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer a foot-foot prime.