• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ice Fall

Hello folks,

I've been away for a while, but intend to haunt these hallowed halls again for a spell. For those of you who shudder at the prospect of this, I can only offer my sincere condolences.

The notion of black and white processing has taken a powerful hold lately. It seems, sometimes, as if the world of subjects can be seen more clearly without the distraction of color.

92790364.jpg

An ice fall near the Illinois River on a morning a couple weeks ago when the temperature was about 5 below zero.

This infatuation with B&W will probably come to an abrupt end this spring when the forest wildflowers begin to bloom.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Excellent Tom!

Tell me, did you take a tripod and what camera and/ film did you use? You have managed to show us a good range of the bright tones that are easily lost in this kind if shot. This is almost like the lace of the fine lady's in Versailles at the court of Louis XIV! However it was certainly warmer there.

This place looks clean and much colder but really beautiful. This is one situation where bracketing can be helpful especially if one wants to show thew sky well and there are evergrreen trees and brown rocks to either side. In the spring, there will be flowers on this level but perhaps higher they may still be ice.

Did you have a long schlepp to get to that place. I hate sliding around on the edge of frozen hillside as the light fades. A monopod with a spike can really be handy but one must wear goves!

Good work!

Asher

Brandon Jones

Oh Wow!

This is an amazing shot!!!! WOW... i wish we had ice falls like that here!!! Keep up the good work!
Absolutely Incredible

Tom,

A beautiful scene. I'm happy for you that you braved the weather and were rewarded handsomely.

Would it be possible to see a cropped version that might demonstrate the detail in a part of the picture? I find myself wishing I could see more detail (darn web anyway). I'm not sure how that might be best accomplished over the web, but there it is. :)

Beautiful!

Hello All,

Thanks for your kind comments, they're very much appreciated.

Ed, I've got a million and one versions of this subject using various focal lengths and perspectives. Which part would you like to see?

Brandon, thanks!

Asher, it's really good to see you are online and doing well.
Camera: Canon 5D
Lens: Canon 180mm macro (pretty much the default lens, these days)
Hike distance: quarter mile
Foot gear: Neos overboots and Yak Trax
Hand gear: Glove-mitts with 10- hour chemical palm warmers

93374063.jpg

This morning's gentle roundish ice at an Illinois River canyon.

Thanks for looking,

Tom

The image appears to have a mist or fog in the central area. I was curious how much detail was in some of the other areas, I think mostly out of curiousity.

I've taken to having chemical warmers in my camera bag as well... =D