• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A beginners guide CURVES (needed)

Nich Fern

Can someone teach me about using Photoshops Curves?

I know it is key to awesome digital images. But I know nothing of how to use it. For now, I use little more than levels, hue/saturation, and clone stamp in my editing. I NEED to branch out, but also need some help to do so.

Thanks,
Nich

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nich,

Proficiency with curves adjustments allows one to remap the tonalities of an image.

Now what does that mean? Well we get clues as to the structure, dimensionality, textures and mood of a scene by how light plays off the surfaces and reflects towards us so we can build in our brains a "picture" of what is outside our bodies. The picture that we see is not what is there! It's just a construct whereby we as organisms imagine and can "work out" our relationships with our world. It so happens there is usually enough light round and that we are good at picking up visual clues. When we use a piece of light-sensitive film or else a digital silicon chip, light falls on a cold dumb heartless material. It knows nothing about how the brain likes to process light and dark and changes in perspective and other nuances that allows us to translate what light we receive to 3 dimensional images of what's before us. The image sensor or film have neither memory nor interest in the source of the light bathing them. Our brains do the pattern recognitions without us thinking and even when poorly lit, we can add the missing information.

Also, our brains have the extra advantage of overlaying information from two positions, one for each eye, so there is a highly developed facility for depth perception and separation of surfaces. As we move our heads, we can order everything to a series of distances from us. Our perception, all from what otherwise for a machine would require instant geometrical calculations is that nearer objects will seem to shift their positions away from our own direction of movement with respect to and more than progressively distant objects. So we are asking of a single, stationary flat piece of plastic or silicon, the delivery of a likeness of what we see with our two eyes and brain! The way we can succeed in this is to maximize tonal differences and character so as to enrich our pictures with easily interpreted visual clues.

We could say, "open the shadows", "tame the highlights", increase the slope of the change in contrast" and so forth, but the best way to approach this is by examples and there are already a number of good tutorials for you to look at. Two are given below.

Learning "curves" is a fundamental step in having some creative control in how your images will appear. (Once you get the basics, Lightroom has a great paradigm in that it limits what you can do to mostly sensible changes. So that is worth looking at.)

I'd get a taste first at Luminous Landscape with the tutorial by Miles Hecker . It's simple and a good start.

Then you can go to Cambridge color:here as their illlustrations, as you can see, below, are very clear. As they approach the subject differently you will end up with a pretty good understanding. In particular their "roll-over" illustrations are very easy to follow and well done.

tut_curves_pswindow1.png

Credit- Cambridge Color

Then practice. I hope this helps!

Asher

Last edited:

Clayton Lofgren

Some really good info there. I once spent a good bit of time (and money) studying PS7, but picked up some new stuff in a couple of minutes with this.

Steve Robinson

I'd like to say thank you also Asher. Coming from one who always used the software's best guess as to tonality, I find I like the control I get with the curve in Lightroom. It takes a lot of tries to get it right but it is much more satisfying. I still need to practice especially with all the different controls in LR. Thanks for the links to the curve articles.