• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Secret Garden...

Shane Carter

How to pick 4 shot out of musical? Individual shots, large groups, small groups... Its not possible to give context of a musical with four photos so here is what may seem like random shots, but they are in order.

It is a very moody musical with many ghost scenes and the stage was very dimmly lit in general compared to most productions.

57490102.jpg

57490111.jpg

57490114.jpg

57490112.jpg

You can see a mini gallery here...the full show won't go live on my website for another week. http://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting/showgallery.php?cat=5548&ppuser=57490&page=1

C&C encouraged.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Shane,

Shots that are purple may seem right with appropriate music and plot, however, just looking at the images, the 3rd has some sense that something might be at risk. In any case, that seems to hold the most potential. I like it.

Ask, does this picture have impact? If not, go the next one. In the end you'll only have a few but the might convey the ideas and mood you want to bring to us.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I looked at your other images and noticed this one:

57490108.jpg

© Shane Canfield

Perhaps try a B&W version cropped. Maybe that will convey what you seek.

Asher

Shane Carter

Thanks Asher. :) Tricky to be sure. The DVD I'm selling has 300 photos including Cast, Crew, and Set formals. The lights are constantly changing with this play and much of it uses scrimes to create a sunlight through leaves effect. So it requires constant attention to get the shutter to 1/60 or so for most of the play. This stage uses many banks of lights, many gelled...but it was a fun shoot and a great cast. The orchestra was hidden which was too bad, because at least some shote of them are fun too. Appreciate your comments as always!

Marcus Peddle

Great photographs, Shane. Have you been doing this kind of shooting for a while? It looks like something you would have to practice a lot. You're obviously quite good at this sort of thing.

Shane Carter

Hi Marcus, thanks much. :) Well this would be about a 10 plays maybe...kids and adult plays combined. It does get easier over time, like anything else. You are able to stop thinking about how to shoot and instead focus on what to shoot...what makes an interesting composition. There are many moments that are not really worth much, so paying attention all the time is important.

Here are two that several friends (two of the show's producers) here seem to like a lot...

57490105.jpg

57490109.jpg

I also do the promo publicity shots too for the newspapers. Those are all done with my strobes on set and are posed. The director of the show and I work together on those to get what she wants.

Interestingly the Washington Post ran one of the photos but the two regional papers did not, who knows. :)