• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Marriage Of Macro Photography & Georgia O’Keeffe Paintings.

Michael Brown

Hey guys, ..... it's been awhile, so thought I would come in here and mix it up with everyone.
Have been busy, ... shooting a lot, ... editing a lot, ... and taking lots of Tylenol!

This is a image that I just posted in my journal along with my thoughts on the marriage of my work in macro photography, and the paintings of "Georgia O'Keeffe".
She inspired me long ago, and it seems that it has worked its way into my macro abstract type of work over the past few years.
This type of imagery has always had a visual appeal to me.

6990073-lg.jpg

And today I discovered the word and meanings of "notan", ... something that O'Keeffe and others discovered long ago.
Interesting!

Thanks for looking everyone,
Michael Brown

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
That is beautiful.

Love Georgia O'Keefe's works. Actually have a poster here in the office of one of her works picked up at the O'keefe Museum in Santa Fe.

Can you share what you did in Post on the image - I really love it and I have a lot of florals in my catalogue?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Michael,

I'm impressed with your dedication to one major idea which informs your work. This leaning on the achievements and style of a classic visionary is a significant decision in one's art and photography. It allows you to know what you are not interested in photographing. That is a major part of photography at its best.

The concentration of your effort does allow you to put a lot of energy into you focus on a certain style. The thing to do then is to first get the sense of what you are doing and then to write your own script.

My first impression is positive. I will have to study more but I'm motivated to do so.

Thanks so much for sharing your work as it is special and personal.

Asher

Michael Brown

That is beautiful.

Love Georgia O'Keefe's works. Actually have a poster here in the office of one of her works picked up at the O'keefe Museum in Santa Fe.

Can you share what you did in Post on the image - I really love it and I have a lot of florals in my catalogue?

Thanks Kathy, ... and yep, ..... I am envious!
I have always wanted to go to the O'Keeffe Museum and simply to "get lost" in her work.
It would not be that hard for me to do!

This particular piece was created one day when I was picking some flowers for a vase to put on the table before some guests came over for supper.
I noticed how a couple of the flowers were below the water line, and how nicely diffused they were.
I simply left them there on the front porch and in some shade, got the camera and macro lens, and had me a bit of fun, using all natural light. There was a slight bounce coming from the white front door on the right hand side of the flower.
There was a slight hint of magenta which shows up in all baptisia flowers when photographed in shade.
A ever so slight color adjustment was made, adding a hint of cyan, and taking away a hint of magenta to get the flower back to what I had initially seen and what is normally seen when viewing in a brighter light.

Thanks again Kathy,
Michael

Michael Brown

Thanks Asher, ... really appreciate your thoughts.

Although I do find myself trying out other things/ideas, I always find myself going right back to what I love to do the most.
I honestly believe that the best step that I ever took during this process of "learning what I really wanted to do", was to tune out all of the outside influence from other individuals.
It is amazing how much of a difference that can make, ... at least it did for me.

I often like to think that Georgia is allowing me to stand on her shoulders, and hopefully one day, I just might be able to allow some to crawl up on my shoulders as well.

Thanks again Asher,
Michael

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Michael

Absolutely beautiful, I had a look at your website and your images are inspiring, beautiful in their painterly delicacy, thank you for showing us this.....

Michael, what gifted insight to photographs this flower in such a manner as to make everybody assume you had run photoshop "art" simulation filters on it!

This is a beautiful, delicate image, and so are all the others of yours that I have seen. Thank you for sharing!

Ken Mitchell

That is beautiful.

I was in the museum last summer, fantastic place. O'Keefe was amazing, and Santa Fe is a great town (except for parking!).