• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

D40x

Robert Mielke

I'm hoping the omission of the D40X simply indicates its relative newness to the Nikon lineup. I just treated myself to one for Christmas and thus far love the camera. It's my first digital SLR. If owning this model excludes me from this area let me know and I'll "run away".

197265869_rAX6v-M.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

I'm a canon guy for sure but admire the Leica M8, am amazed by last years Pentax KtD and Nikon's D2H that I used last year. We do sometimes lag labeling of the fora as we do not use all models. So any updates appreciated!

Nikon, to me, is an important engine in this market. As one of the premier Camera companies, Nikon forces others to compete their best know how and patents now and not hold on by selling the same old thing with just more pixels! Nikons D3 is one such great example where one camera will change the strategy of everyone else.

That picture is interesting. How old is the cat? Are you getting an underage cat drunk? Anyway, I'd consider using an old fashioned vignetting and then a light on the kitten's face!

Asher

Robert Mielke

Admittedly this photograph was not taken by me. The image was forwarded to me by my sister who thought of my personality when she saw it. I'll agree with the laid back part but haven't touched a drop of alcohol since 1978.

I agree with you assessment of Nikon as a force in the photographic industry. The product wars between Nikon & Canon are as legendary as those between Coke & Pepsi. Both are great cameras.

I understand the science of Photography but am relatively new to processing RAW images. I'm learning fast as I'm a prolific reader and understand the wealth of knowledge available online. I use Photoshop 7.0 and Adobe Elements 6.0 to handle photo processing chores. I've been using Photoshop since version 4.0 but am new to Elements. I had to start somewhere in dealing with the RAW format and thus far Elements suits my immediate needs. Thanks for all your input.