• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Before & After The Storm of The Century

Robert Mielke

I live & play in the Pacific Northwest, specifically the Portland, OR area. One of my favorite hangouts is Astoria, OR with it's connection to the ocean. I've captured a particular fishnet factory along Hwy 30 that is 106 years old. On Dec 5th, 2007, a horrific storm packing 129 mph winds ripped through this area and did a great deal of damage. My beloved factory was not spared. When I recently returned to film the damage I bumped into the actual building owners who told me there would be no further restoration on the damaged building. At least I have my favorite photos before this storm ripped apart a local landmark.

174378139_JMTeS-L.jpg

255709924_KbrWF-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Bob,

This latest storm is just one extra devastating blow for what must have been a vigorous happening place 30 years ago. I wonder what went on there besides the fish net factory? Can you find an old picture and why it was abandoned. After all, I am not sure one could get a license for building anything like that way out in the water so easily now.

Where exactly is it? Do you have the GPS coordinates or a map?

As to the images, did you process these from Nikon's RAW or are they jpgs out of the camera? It seems to me that they could both have more punch.

Also, these might make excellent B&W photographs.

Asher

Robert Mielke

The before image was taken with a nikon L1 point & shoot in jpeg. The after image was taken with my new Nikon D40X SLR with the 55-200 zoom & a polorizing filter on the lens to add that extra punch to the sky.

There was tremendous damage in the local area to property and especially trees. The problem wasn't only the high winds up to 129 mph but the fact that winds over 75+ mph were sustained for up to 12 hours. The saturated earth couldn't hold the tree roots over that extended period of time, therefore huge quantities of forests were uprooted and destroyed. The 400 Sitka spruce, America's talest met it's end in that storm.

The fishnet factory is located on Hwy 30 as you enter the city of Astoria from the East. It's also very close to the Columbia River Maritime Museum on that same stretch of highway. Both are well worth visiting. The Maritime Museum generally has visiting ships docked next to The Columbia Coastguard Lightship, a floating lighthouse, docked next to it.

255710829_j6n38-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bob,

What is the activity and ambience around there now? Is it commercial fishing, some hotels or restaurants; or just homes along the shore?

Asher

Your "before" picture is inspiring. When I looked at your post I dreamed of living there - a wide open space inside a wide open space outside.

A unique building, unfortunately, as it would seem, lost.

Do they need such a large structure because of the span of the nets?