• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Spring is in the air....

janet Smith

pro member
Both shots 5D 100mm macro lens handheld, 1/125 @ f3.2 iso 200
Dwarf Iris "George"​
IMG_0004ssA.jpg

Dwarf Iris "Harmony" 1/100 @ f4 iso 200
IMG_0012ss.jpg

I've had some horrible virus this last few days, these little chaps had sprung into life when I ventured out yesterday for some fresh air and a walk. They're tiny dwarf Iris only about 15-20cm tall, I like the shallow DOF in these two shots. So nice to see some colour while everything is still so grey here.

Shane Carter

The second one caught my eye. Very different from the typical flower shot. The balance is uinque with the focal point being low and in the center of the stems. Interesting and nice to see something unique.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, Shane, this presentation in Jan's images is pleasant. The limited, forward-placed, focus plane gives the flowers a thrust towards us which is much more dynamic than the usual simple shot.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Shane & Asher

Thank you for your nice comments, I'm trying hard to get something a little different, these small flowers were growing in pots, absolutely packed in for maximum colour impact. I think it worked well with these because they are so small, you can fit a lot more into the shot.....

StuartRae

Hi Jan,

I found this lonely little violet on Thursday. It was less than 1cm across and a bit battered by the recent storm, but another sign of Spring. The second shot was taken with the camera resting on a piece of wood, and me flat on my face in the wet undergrowth.

IMG_1436-01.jpg

IMG_1441-01.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

janet Smith

pro member
The second shot was taken with the camera resting on a piece of wood, and me flat on my face in the wet undergrowth

Sounds just like - me always kneeling/layed in mud!!!

IMG_0069SS001.jpg

Ipheion 'Wisley Blue' both 5D 100mm macro lens

IMG_0127ss001.jpg

Celandine - Ranunculus Ficaria 'Major'

Hi Stuart

Lovely, I just love tiny wild flowers, thank you for posting your violets, there are none here yet, I used to spend hours as a little girl collecting bunches of wildflowers probably this is where my obsession with tiny wild flowers stems from...

Here are a couple from the last few days, I've just come in from dinner with friends, and have a lovely evening.....

StuartRae

Hi Jan,

I'm pleased you managed to find a Celandine :)

I used to spend hours as a little girl collecting bunches of wildflowers...........

When I was a small boy, I entered a competition from my father's Farmer's Weekly. You had to collect as many wild flowers as possible and 'press' them in a scrap book. I managed over 300 and won first prize. I suppose I was lucky, because my father's farm (in Cambridgeshire) was on the chalk uplands ('up' meant that it was at least a few feet above sea level!); a mile down the road the fens began, and not too far away was the sandy heathland of Thetford Chase, so I had a varied ecology to choose from.

And just as beautiful as flowers were these tiny (1/4") fungi I found about a month ago.

IMG_1372-02s.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

janet Smith

pro member
When I was a small boy, I entered a competition from my father's Farmer's Weekly. You had to collect as many wild flowers as possible and 'press' them in a scrap book. I managed over 300 and won first prize.......And just as beautiful as flowers were these tiny (1/4") fungi I found about a month ago

Hi Stuart

How interesting were they 300 different species? Like your fungi shot, I haven't photographed fungi yet, something else I'll have to remedy over the coming weeks/months....