• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Great Blue Heron

Michael Mouravi

Hi everybody. This was taken yesterday afternoon at a nearby swamp. It was freezing and windy here in NJ, but the evening light was beautiful. 1D Mk2n and 300 2.8L IS...

20080309_TM_0313.jpg

Hi everybody. This was taken yesterday afternoon at a nearby swamp. It was freezing and windy here in NJ, but the evening light was beautiful. 1D Mk2n and 300 2.8L IS...

Hi Michael, that's an interesting color contrast you captured. The heron's pose is nice as well. Personally I'd prefer a bit more space between the head and the image border, i.e. the crop is too tight for my taste.

Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi agree with Bart about the framing, but amazing colors!

Did you do anything in PP to get that golden color? though it is beautifull I wonder if it's natural…

This guy has good tool to catch fishes!

Lovely ambiance anyway, bravo!

This is a nice shot, Michael. I like the way the light is on its face, even though much of the rest of its body is shadowed.

The cropping is a bit tight, but still ok in my book.

The golden color looks real to me, and similar to what I often see at that golden time in that setting.

My only suggestion would be to see what it would look like if lightened up a bit, both in the mid-tones as well as the highlights.

Thanks for posting!

Michael Mouravi

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Color represents what I saw that evening, low evening sun shining on the creek through the line of trees - of course the RAW file was massaged a bit, black point clipped and saturation increased.

Here are a few images of this heron from other days:

20080307_TM_9296.jpg

20080307_TM_9535.jpg

20080306_TM_8993.jpg