• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A few from Kansas...

Shane Carter

Had to go back home for a funeral, grandma passed away. Worked in a few photos and a little memory lane with family. Living in DC for most of my life, kind of miss the great west. For C&C

57490J4O3794.jpg

57490J4O3815.jpg

Whole gallery here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting/showgallery.php?cat=5557&ppuser=57490&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Shane,

Sorry about the passing of your Grandmother. Hope it was peaceful and she had a long life. Did you have a lot of catching up and surprise reports. That's the good and bad of funerals. Also it causes a reassessment of what one id doing with one's own life.

I wonder whether or not this feeling influenced you to take the two images of the stacks, so clean, reach from the land to the sky. The views are certainly up to the cosmos, almost clutches of spacecraft ready to blast off.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
57490J4O3900.jpg

This image is interesting with the extraordinary fine branch structure, the asymmetry and the sand colored ground. This is a rich palette of Sienna tones which is my nemesis for being seduced in landscapes. One can move the mid point in the layers histogram in Photoshop, to the right and obtain even more drama.

However, the sky does need to be processed very separately! If you have the RAW, then it would be wonderful to see what you might do. If you wish you can provide the RAW for us to try?

This image is a challenge because the three elements: sky, tree and land require always optimizing. There's no way a complex colored image can come out perfectly from the camera by itself, at least, not yet!

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

P.s. There's many ways that this image might be looked at. I wonder what you might think about cropping the sky to within a 1/4 inch above the tree? It seems to me that this substantially strengthens the image. Alternatively I'd double the sky! :)

Shane Carter

Shane,

Sorry about the passing of your Grandmother. Hope it was peaceful and she had a long life. Did you have a lot of catching up and surprise reports. That's the good and bad of funerals. Also it causes a reassessment of what one id doing with one's own life.

I wonder whether or not this feeling influenced you to take the two images of the stacks, so clean, reach from the land to the sky. The views are certainly up to the cosmos, almost clutches of spacecraft ready to blast off.

Hi Asher...thanks for the thoughts. Yes, it was a good service. 88 years old and died peacefully in her sleep. A loving and feisty woman that owned a small regional independant newspaper with grandpa for years. :)

As for the silo pics...wow, had not thought of that, could have been somewhere in the back of mind, the reaching up. Will think on that one, heck of an observation. :)

Shane Carter

This image is interesting with the extraordinary fine branch structure, the asymmetry and the sand colored ground. This is a rich palette of Sienna tones which is my nemesis for being seduced in landscapes. One can move the mid point in the layers histogram in Photoshop, to the right and obtain even more drama.

However, the sky does need to be processed very separately! If you have the RAW, then it would be wonderful to see what you might do. If you wish you can provide the RAW for us to try?

This image is a challenge because the three elements: sky, tree and land require always optimizing. There's no way a complex colored image can come out perfectly from the camera by itself, at least, not yet!

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

P.s. There's many ways that this image might be looked at. I wonder what you might think about cropping the sky to within a 1/4 inch above the tree? It seems to me that this substantially strengthens the image. Alternatively I'd double the sky! :)

Not really sure how to process the sky seperately. Are you talking about selecting it and making a new layer?

Here is one of the same trees but more of a close up. Bracketed this one with 1/3 stops and processed those with HDR...what say ye? Too much?

57490J4O3897tm.jpg

Shane Carter

That's interesting. Have you tried Enfuse. It's gentle!

What did you use?

Asher

Photomatix. Not sure about HDR but this one of the trees seems OK, maybe. Certainly brought out some details that were lost before.

Below is one on the way to the airport in Colorado Springs that I shot with bracketed three shots, one stop diff with the intent of experimenting with HDR. I don't really like it that much as it just seems too unnatural....but it is worth playing with.

The one of the trees tho we started with was 1/3 stops and seems less "fake."

57490J4O4066_4_5_tonemapped.jpg

Have not tried the Enfuse yet. Will play with that soon. :)

Shane Carter

BTW, I don't do HDR as a rule so none of these, except the last two where I pointed it out, were HDR. I did get the deep blues out of the four original shots from a polarizer on the lens...which yields nice results. :)

janet Smith

pro member
Here is one of the same trees but more of a close up. Bracketed this one with 1/3 stops and processed those with HDR...what say ye? Too much?

I say that I like it....and the last one in Colorado Springs, looks amazing, I also like the first one of the grain silos, which I think might look good in b&w with strong contrast.