• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zero post poster, posting

Peter Stacey

I don't think you can have a 'zero post' poster, but anyway the title is catchy.

Architecture is one of my favourite genre's and so for my first post, a few local to me:

Reflection in The Hague (The Netherlands)
20080308_Shootout-46.jpg

Something Blue (Rijswijk, The Netherlands)
20080305_Rijswijkwater-9.jpg

Bold and Angular I (Rotterdam Cube Houses, The Netherlands)
Cubes2.jpg

Bold and Angular II (The Hague, The Netherlands)
20080303_DenHaag-9.jpg

C&C welcome.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Stacey

Thanks Doug. I've been lurking for a while, so it's about time I got a bit active.

Here's another couple of shots:

Under de Pier (Scheveningen, The Netherlands)
LPS14_HDR2WEB2.jpg

Ministry of Health (The Hague, The netherlands)
MinofArch.jpg

Regards,

Peter

janet Smith

pro member
Welcome Peter

I absolutely love No's 3, 4 & 5 fantastic compositions and colour, really glad you decided to post these!!

Peter Stacey

Welcome Peter,

Inspiring shots, I like 4&5 the most capturing the structures in a special but still natural way.
(I am in the same region btw)

Martin

Thanks for the replies everyone and I see your not far away at all Martin.

I have to get over to Leiden soon because there are some shots that I want to get, although I've been busy lately shooting around Delft.

Regards,

Peter

Bold and Angular I - mesmerizing - brings me back to the wonder of childhood and colorful blocks and letters!

What camera/lens (if you don't mind me asking)? Also, you obviously cranked the saturation up, what else did post-processing involve?

I think I'm still looking for a way to embolden bright colors and keep neutrals neutral, if you know what i mean?

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Peter

I iike "Under de Pier" very much:

a surprising perspective together with a nice light ambiance, taken at the good moment.

As for "Ministry of Health", I' d like to see the ground, where it stands. I'm aware that it is not alwith easy to capture the roofs and the ground.

Peter Stacey

As for "Ministry of Health", I' d like to see the ground, where it stands. I'm aware that it is not alwith easy to capture the roofs and the ground.

Hehe....at the moment you wouldn't be too impressed by the ground as all.

This is the back side of the building and normally this shot isn't available because the space next to this building is taken up by another building.

The old building is gone, but the site is now a construction space for a new building.

So this view will be gone again soon (which is a pity, because I really like this view of it).

The shot as it is has just the bottom part of the building missing because right in front of the camera (about 5 m in front) there is a temporary fence running around the new construction.

I'll go back and take a shot so you can see what I mean.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Stacey

Another couple as well.

Here's one from Cem's city of Rotterdam:
Nik074_Arch.jpg

I like the color and rhythm in the shot; and these are a couple that are a bit abstract.

They are really stairs more than what we typically think of as architecture, but they really complement the design of the building they are next to (the Provinciehuis - Council offices - in The Hague) so for me they are part of what architecture is about, which is not just about the roof and facade, but also the whole design and how a building or other large structure interacts with its environment:

20080121_Provinciehuis-20.jpg

20080121_Provinciehuis-21.jpg

Regards,

Peter

Cem_Usakligil

...Here's one from Cem's city of Rotterdam...
Hi Peter,

Welcome to OPF, I am very glad seeing you around here. Sorry it took me a while to chime in, I have been busy with all sorts of other things. Previously you and I have had a small but pleasant chat over at photocamel.com. I was very much impressed by your pictures then as I still am today. You'll be a great addition to the OPF. Mind you, we have some excellent Dutch photographers here (and for clarity's sake, I don't imply that I belong to that group at all). We might even arrange a Dutch OPF field day sometime.

Please stick around and hopefully you'll become an active contributor.

Cheers,

Cem

PS: Rotterdam is one of my favorite cities to photograph, but I live a bit more to the south actually.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Peter

your picture of Castalia, the Ministry of Health, makes it obvious, that something happens with the ground. I know its not alwith easy....

Maybe at dusk or dawn, you could better integrate the ground and its environnement. That would be a contrary strategy to capture this building.

Your nighshot - it isolates the buidling from its surrounding - makes me thinking about a dollhouse or a rendering; the shot emphasizes the architecture style, though.

Peter Stacey

Great stuff! What lens/es? Can't read the EXIF...TS lenses? How did you correct for the distortion?

Hi Shane,

These were all taken with normal lenses, not TS unfortunately (although I am buying the new Nikon 24mm PC lens released this month).

As a result, perspective distortion (and some lens distortion) has been adjusted in post (though some natural perspective distortion has been left in).

I shoot with my Nikon cameras, so all the lenses used in these shots are Nikon made, most of these were taken with the 18-70, but I also use a number of primes and faster zooms.

regards,

Peter