• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wanted: recommendations re. photography/travel in the USA

Cem_Usakligil

Hi there,

We shall have our summer holidays in America this year. To be more specific, we shall arrive in LA on the 7th of July and depart on the 10th. We shall drive through a couple of states with stopovers at: Walnut Canyon/Sunset Crater, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Lake Powell, Bryce Canyon, Death Valley, Sequoia Park, San Francisco, Carmel/San Simeon back to LA. This will take some 13-14 days in total. Afterwards, we shall fly to New York at around the 24th for a 4 days stay there before departing back to Europe on the 29th.

So here I was wondering; are there any recommendations you'd like to give me regarding certain places that I should certainly include in our itinerary and/or any photography related tips?

BTW, can we possibly have an OPF meet in LA even if it is to have some drinks and chat for a few hours? Say sometime on the 8th or 9th of July? That'd be great.

Cheers,

Cem

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You are coming to the right place!

LA is a great place to visit! Tuesday and Wednesday might be tough for others except in the evenings. I have cleared my schedule for that time. Good thing you told us early!

PM me your best email so we can sketch out ideas for some preliminary arrangements.

The Getty museum, Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angles County museum of Art, museum of Contemporary Art, Disneyland, The Queen Mary at Long Beach. Whale watching if it's the right season??? We'll need to check, The Tar Pits with dinosaurs and saber-tooth tigers, Santa Monica and Venice beaches. This is wonderful! We look forward to meeting you in person. Let’s see how other folks can manage too!

There's much more depending on your interests and who is with you!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

....The Getty museum, Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angles County museum of Art, museum of Contemporary Art, Disneyland, The Queen Mary at Long Beach. Whale watching if it's the right season??? We'll need to check, The Tar Pits with dinosaurs and saber-tooth tigers, Santa Monica and Venice beaches. This is wonderful! We look forward to meeting you in person. Let’s see how other folks can manage too!

There's much more depending on your interests and who is with you!
Fantastic Asher, I am very glad that we can meet at last! Already looking forward to it with much anticipation :).

Those points of interest you've mentioned (except for Disneyland and tar pits) are right up my street and my wife will definitely love visiting them. Our 15 yrs-old daughter might have some additional interests such as Hollywood, Universal Studios, Walk of Fame, Sunset Blvd, Beverly Hills, etc. So that summarizes the interests of our small family ;-)

Hope to hear from others such as Kathy and Nik as well, but also from folks in NY, SF or elsewhere along our route.

Regards,

Cem

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I'm in...

Actually, I think that there are many things here to interest you and your family.

Los Angeles is a big place - where will be be staying while you are here? I would be happy to show you around. Hollywood, Maybe Universal Studios (we could plan a gathering at CityWalk)

Your daughter and wife would definitely like a trip to Beverly Hills - they can window shop while you snap! I'd be honored to take a day to show you around and to plan a dinner for other OPF members. Maybe the Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade would be a good spot and fun for your family too. Venice Beach and Santa Monica Beach are close by.

You actually have some incredible places on your list - Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, San Francisco, Carmel/Monterey - all wonderful! And the time of year is perfect - not too hot yet.

Let me know what days you plan on spending in what areas and I would be happy to be your personal concierge.

Asher, Whale Watching is March to June...

Asher Kelman

Actually, I think that there are many things here to interest you ....
Asher, Whale Watching is March to June...

In Hollywood Blvd, people watching peaks at 6pm, Sunset blvd, 9 pm but in Beverly Hills, Girl watching is 24/7, 'till the streets are empty!

Asher

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Girl watching is all year, 24/7 :)

Asher

Yes, Asher - especially in Southern California - all varieties, ethnicites, shapes, sizes and personalities. And Santa Monica/Venice Beach/Beverly Hills/Hollywood - the perfect venues for people watching of all kinds. Cameras optional but highly recommended.

Asher Kelman

HeHe ..

15 yr old girl .. shopping in Westwood maybe :)

Thought that the view of the city from the Griffith Park Observatory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffith_Observatory is as good as it gets .. And the observatory is rather nice as well (at least in 1988 .. when I was there and the best advice was on places not to go in LA.. ..)

110019142-L-1.jpg

Brian Lowe is our resident Griffith Park photographer. He posted previously in OPF here .

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
AH - Westwood has evolved - not the place to go shopping anymore...It was when I was 15, but, that was a while back. The good stores have closed. Santa Monica has taken it's place or the Grove next door to Farmer's Market, Melrose is good for trendy stuff.

I am totally up to the Observatory - haven't been there since it re-opened!

Asher Kelman

Kathy,

Why don't you call me and let's sketch out some ideas? BTW, I need to know if you want Armani 10'x4' blue wave back drops.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks a million..

Hi folks,

Thanks to your great responses we are very enthusiastic and excited. Can't wait till it's July :).

Our agenda in LA (on the 8th, 9th and also the 23th/24th of July) is totally open and flexible. We don't know yet where we'll stay at (3 nights starting on the7th and another night on the 23th). Somebody has recommended reserving rooms at a hotel near the airport since it is more or less at the geographical center of the city. Any recommendations from you will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Cem

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Cem,

First I would say don't stay at the airport! The area is congested, not very attractive, and not one of the safest areas. Not many places to eat. The next question would be what amount are you allocating towards hotel in Los Angeles? I'd probably put you up on the Westside and depending on your budget, I can make a number of recommendations.

Ron Morse

Did you give any thought to the Bar Harbor area of Maine? Beautiful in the summer. People from all over the US travel here to enjoy it in the summer.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Maine!

Oh our USA is so beautiful. I think Cem should bring his family and see all 50 states.

Actually, I think it's a wonderful thing to do - I hope I get to many more of them in my lifetime. I think I will start a new post about it!

Cem_Usakligil

Did you give any thought to the Bar Harbor area of Maine? Beautiful in the summer. People from all over the US travel here to enjoy it in the summer.

Great idea Ron. But as someone said before me:
So many women, err, places, so little time (LOL)

Cheers,

Cem